Complete France Forum

Ill health retirement

Washy

Does anyone know if having been retired from teaching on ill health grounds following an accident and an assault, means I get any sort of mecial cover in France. I am 54 and have come to France to live, I have brought and E111, but should I apply for an E106?

I have read the threads on Incapacity Benefit and have just received a letter from them asking if there is anything I should tell them? I must tell them I am intending to live abroad, but as I have only been claiming IB for a few months I do not expect this witll continue. Unless I can plead discrimination under EU laws.

AFAIK, E111's are purely for emergency treatment when one is on holiday etc. If you are ill, you will pay up front and then you will have a form to fill in to reclaim part of the money you have paid out. As you are now a french residents you should put your french address on this form, which poses the question, will the SS reimburse you. I believe that you should have applied for an E106 well before you made your move to France.

So have I got it right here, I wonder?????? I think you should get all this sorted out ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

This is a tough one! I know it seems odd but reciprocal arrangements are much clearer if you receive LONG TERM Incapacity Benefit. If this is going the case then you can apply for E121, once you are in receipt of the benefit, from the DSS in Newcastle. With that and proof of residence you can affiliate into the French system for life provided you renmain in receipt of the benefit.

With Short term Incapacity Benefit it is less clear. First of all you should really have established with your social security office, before you left the UK, that you would still be entitled to receive this benefit. If so then E 106 would have been issued to you. You can still apply for E106 by virtue of your last two tax years of NI contributions paid in the UK and at least get up to 2 years cover with CPAM.. But obviously you must come clean about your intention to live in France.

I am not a lawyer but in my opnion pleading discrimination is a no brainer!

Regards

Peter Owen
pjowen@rivieramail.com

Archived