Complete France Forum

Wheelchair to buy

Lin

My Mum lives with us here in the Cantal ans is getting a bit dodgy on her pins now. We would like to get her a wheelchair so that we can take her to places that are inaccessible at the moment. We have a branch of Medica Diffusion in Aurillac, our nearest town but I would like to know a bit about products before we go. I can't find a website that shows/describes products. Has anyone else done any research along these lines who could pass on any information?

Many thanks
lin

Can your GP not give you a prescription for the loan of a wheelchair? We had one after my husband's latest op. Just picked it up from the chemist. Unfortunately as he is large and heavy, it was "size 5" which meant taking the doors off most of the rooms to get him through..... It may be different if your Mum needs a full-time wheelchair, but probably worth asking.
Chrissie
(81)

Lin I have read your posting and wonder if in your situation a mobility scooter might be a better bet.
I say this because of some things you mention.
Your mum is not keen on a wheelchair, I can understand that I hated it when I first had mine, I was pretty reliant on other people even though I have a self propelling one, but you have to be pretty fit to wheel one for long!
You say it is hilly where you are, well think of yourself having to push a wheelchair up those inclines, my husband was shattered before long on a slope.
Independence is really important and since I got my mobility scooter there is no stopping me. It is fairly small and fits in the back of the car. So it is there whereever you go and just plug the battery in at night then off you go. There are various types and sizes available and there are stockists in France now of the smaller type. Mine has an outlet in the Charante and if you are interested e-mail me Charallais@aol.com

They can be hired from medical supply outlets. Haute Vallee Medical is one we have here in Couiza and Quillan and I remember loooking through their brochure recently and seeing wheelchair hire and it was not very expensive. It would help you choose the sort/size/type and you could buy one at a later date if the doctor's referral is not suitable.

Hi Lin

Well I have found out that Pride Mobility who make my mobility scooter have an outlet Pride France in Deux-Sevres.

Web site for Pride Mobility is www.Pridemobility.com click on to the International bar and choose France then you can get it in English.

Pride France
64 Rue de Pied Griffner
79180 Chauray

tel 05 49 33 61 59
mobile 06 85 01 24 10
contact Yves Poirier

No harm in finding out. Even our pharmacist has taken an interest in my scooter! There are various types and sizes. Mine might be a bit too heavy for you but there are really small one, I had one like that for my first scooter and have progressed to a larger type. It is good for getting round towns like Dijon where there are hills, saves the old amn from too much work and I can go shopping on my own! He hates thaat!!!!!!

Charallais

Archived