Complete France Forum

prescriptions

Needhelpinghand

We are a family of 2 adults 2 children 10/14 hoping to live in France. I am having a little difficulty understanding the rules relating to Health care. I have just discovered this facility and I am very grateful at the masses of information discussed and dealt with in this wonderful forum. I have not had the opportunity to read the hundreds of Q&As on this subject and would ask for a litle help if possible. I decided to take early voluntary rdundancy 18 months ago and after an 18 month break took on a 29 hour a week job (this time without stress) but paying minimum wage.I am 60 my wife is quite a lot younger, who I may say along with our 2 girls helps to keep me young.I do take daily medication for blood pressure and cholesterol for which I have a 2 monthly repeat prescription.I do not intend seeking work in France,at least not for a couple of years, taking time to settle in and learn the language. I understand that basic health care is provided,but this is based on a list of about 30 serious illnesses who receive full cover.Will I have to pay for my repeat prescriptions,if so, as I have paid into the UK NHS for 40 years could I still get my medication from the UK. is there any child benefit paid in France. thanks

If you are not actually living in UK you could well have considerable difficulty getting prescriptions from there.

You won't get free prescriptions in France. When you join the French system you will be covered for 65% of the cost of those medications, and you will probably need to visit a GP every three months or so to get repeat prescriptions. You will get 70% refunded of the cost of a visit to the doctor (currently 20). The doctor will probably want you to have regular blood tests, which are refunded at 60%. You can, and would be well advised to, take out a top-up insurance which will cover the extra costs.

Under EU rules, as a non-active person (i.e. not working or not receiving state pension) you are not automatically entitled to reciprocal healthcare in France. However, as explained in another recent topic, depending on your NI contribution record Newcastle may issue an E106 form for a limited period which will give you access to the French social security system. If you are refused an E106, or when your entitlement expires, you will be expected to pay into the French system. The E111 form, which a lot of Britons rely on, covers you for emergency treatment rather than routine regular prescriptions such as you need.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

Archived