Complete France Forum

Registering with a Dr

Gwenhwyfar

Jenny,Val here. You may face a problem if you go to a doctor a fair distance from your home because he may not come out to you in an emergency and may pass your case to someone nearer. There are a couple in Plestin, one is Dr.Henry the husband of the lady opthophoniste who taught my son and I think he is OK but as to finding a good english speaking doctor it will be hard although most have a smattering anyway. I know of doctors some distance from you who do speak english well but as I said,they wouldn't be prepared to travel that far on call outs. You shouldn't worry too much about the language as you can normally get your message across and take it from someone who has had to organise scanner appts,rheumatologists,doppler tests etc, you will cope OK.

My doctor doesn't speak English but we manage O.K.

On one part of the site is recommended a Health Phrase Book for just 1.99 I bought it and it is good handy for the handbag or pocket. Go to http://www.whatshouldido.com and you can buy on line.

I also have Health Phrase books bought through Living France which are excellent and I have bought one for a friend, they are more expensive but the choice is always yours.

Charallais

Unlike in the uk you don't really register, so you can try out a few before deciding which one to stick with. Not just call outs but accidental injuries requiring stitches or similar may make a local one a better bet.

Archived