Complete France Forum

Travel Insurance for a 90 Year Old!

La Doretie

Most companies cover older persons at a little higher premium, they must list any illnesses that they have and make sure they have and E111 from from the post office in the U.K. Also make sure that they take there med's as cabin luggage if they are flying. If they use neddles you need a letter from there doctor and inform the airline when booking and also at check-in.

Hi

You may be shocked by some of the premiums insurance companies want to charge for senior citizens especially with any existing health problems!

My parents came to visit for the first time last Christmas, both nearly 80. Unfortunately, in spite of being extremely fit, my Mum had had cancer during the summer and an op in October. Although pronounced clear before travelling, some companies wanted over £1000 to cover her. Admittedly this was because the treatment was within the previous 6 months .

We did extensive shopping around and managed to get good cover through Saga who charged around £100.00 in spite of the health record.

They visited again in June and this time my Mum had been diagnosed with angina in the spring.

Because of this, they took a chance and did not get any insurance cover other than E111.

My Mum was taken ill here and ended up having to have a heart bypass, in fact they've only just returned home.

Before you consider this option, be aware that only certain illness will be covered 100% by the E111 e.g heart, cancer and diabetes. In this case this is the same treatment that French citizens are entitled to.

On a plus, the health care Mum got here in the hospital was superb and she certainly got the op much quicker than she would have done in the UK. Her own GP has told her she would have been treated as urgent, but would still have had to wait several months!

Obviously you have to weigh up very seriously the risks of doing this.

In their case they only had to pay the daily hospital forfait (currently 13 euros per day)plus the cost of medication on release from hospital (but refunded 65% via E111) It still worked out much less than they would have had to pay for travel insurance.

Make sure that any insurance you do take out will cover existing conditions. We came across several that wanted a premium of over £1000, and still would not cover the cancer because it was pre-existing!

Hope this helps

Karen

Archived