Complete France Forum

Disability Living Allowance/Social Security Benefits - Heart Failure

Iz & Nige

Hello, my husband and I are planning to move to France next year (he's a Brit, I am French) and we are concerned about health issue because he suffers from heart failure and had to take early retirement last year.  He gets Disability Living Allowance at the highest rate for Mobility but not Incapacity Benefit because his pension is too high (ha ha ha!).  Will he still be entitled to DLA in France or is there a French equivalent we have to apply for?  How about social security benefits?  Would he be eligible for 100% coverage or a lesser rate?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Isabelle

Hello Isabelle,

DLA does not normally continue to be paid on moving to France unless your husband started to be in receipt of it before 1 June 1992. I do not know about entitlement to any social security benefits in France. You would need to check this with your local "Caisse Allocations Familliales" (CAF). It may be idea to obtain E104 from the DWP in Newcastle upon Tyne. This is a record of your NI contributions paid in the UK and may help you to draw allowances in France.

Regards

Peter Owen

pjowen@expathealthdirect.co.uk

There is some information about disability allowances on www.angloinfo.com including some french websites.

As you are French I assume you will have no difficulty understanding these.

I would be interested in what they mean by 80% disabled as my wife has problems and is receiving DLA and incapacity benefit.

Is there an equivalent to the Citizens Advise Bureaux where you could get advice before committing to moving to France.

Archived