Complete France Forum

It wasn't a big'un, it was a little'un

Teamedup

Well it is the right word and I really don't know any word in english for this. It is, in this case, a unit that is about four foot high, and a foot wide and a foot deep and is green. It has a screen and a set of buttons and a place where one can put one's card into it in the top half of the unit. I have no idea what you would call it in english, or if there is another word in french, I was told that there was a green borne and knew what I was looking for.

My husband hadn't been here that long when he was working on something that was engineered and the instructions said that he should remove the enceinte....... so he looked the word up and it said pregnant...... Sometimes, looking things up are not helpful.

Sounds like Francais familier based on the resemblance to a milestone or similar. Never heard that one before. What card are you putting into it? Is it a cash-dispenser type thing but for interfacing with your official records? I don't think there would be an English word for that as we don't have them. So we can make up whatever we want and coin a neologism.

Dick, if you had a Monéo card (used for small items, like in a tabac) you would charge it up with money at a special Monéo borne.

Supermarkets often have barcode readers, so that if something doesn't have a marked price, you swipe it under the reader and it displays the price for you.  That's a Borne Prix.

They're difficult to avoid really, they're everywhere! 

[quote]Sounds like Francais familier based on the resemblance to a milestone or similar. Never heard that one before. What card are you putting into it? Is it a cash-dispenser type thing but for interfacing ...[/quote]

'fraid for a start Dick you would have to make up a neo  neolo. neologi another word,  for me to understand what you meant !

A borne and, I have to be fair, that is the only word most of us here know it under.

It is the machine that is in all CPAM offices and some mutuelles as well as some clinics and other places. It is getting more common in places you would not normally have seen one.

It "reads" your carte vitale (green plastic health card on which the puce (now I don't know what that is called in any other language, it is translated as a flea if so, then that is not much use to tell people that, is it?)  lets you know (once you have mastered the little buttons on the front and know which ones you need to press and sometimes in which order) what health rights you actually have here.

For instance, it might tell you if you have full cover with complementaire, or 70% or less for some self employed, who is on the card with you etc etc. You can update your carte following a change in your circumstances. You can be asked to go to a borne and update following a change by the mutuelle.

Phew, do you know, I think it would be easier if people asked specific questions about the borne and indeed the carte vitale itself !!

As our Carte Vitales are in the 'system' somewhere I am sure when I get one (nearly a year now) I will go and plug it into the green thing and see what it says.

I do have full mutuelle cover so although I get loads of bits of paper to play with, we get the money back eventually.

Carte Vitale where art thou?