Complete France Forum

Compulsory to have top up insurance?

HannahSmith

Hi there, wonder if you can help me .... just got a couple of q's re health insurance .... it is compulsory you have the private top up insurance (and is this the "mutuelle" I have been reading about)? 

Also, the other end of the scale, can you only have private insurance and not pay CPAM?  I have read that some do this but wonder how it works - don't you have to pay for this on your tax return - how do you notify them you don't have to pay?

Thanks very much.

Hannah

No, it isn't compulsory to have top up insurance at all (yes that is the mutualist insurance we take out). It is entirely up to each individual if they take it or not. Personally I would not want to live here sans.

For most of us it is compulsory to join the french ss system. If you are british you need to contact Newcastle and get an E form, which you would hand in, in France. You initial cover for up to two years could end up being free anyway. 

Also, the other end of the scale, can you only have private insurance and not pay CPAM?  I have read that some do this but wonder how it works - don't you have to pay for this on your tax return - how do you notify them you don't have to pay?

I am sure that under the rules, made not too long ago, that the private insurance companies are no longer allowed to sell full policies for health for residents in France and are restricted to selling the top up type covers only but Peter Owen will know about that better than me. 

Archived