Complete France Forum

Prescription medicines

lornameg

I've heard that you are soon going to have to register with a GP in France. I have to take blood pressure meds, am coming to France in September (hopefully the more relaxed lifestyle will do wonders for my BP).

When is the change happening? What happens now re. prescriptions, from our many visits to France, I am aware that you can get more from a pharmacist than in England, does that include things like prescribable medicines.

Many thanks Lorna

What do you mean by 'more' meds from a pharmacy in France. Prescriptions can be written out for up to six month cover, but the pharmacist will only issue a month's supply at a time, with the exception of birth control pills.

You will have to ask for, or will be given a form to register with a doctor by the CPAM. We have to hand ours in by June/July, can't remember which.

PS:If you find a way of getting blood pressure down, I really would like to know.

I got my BP down from high to moderate/low levels.

I moved from the UK where I lived in a nice 4 bed house on a river slipway in a riverside village to a hamlet in France where I live in one room while the renovation goes on over my head and plaster falls on the PC like snow. I do the same job but marketing is more difficult.

This is a great way of getting your BP down - hopefully for you going in the opposite direction will have the same effect.

If we can get away from high blood presure stories, I think what Lorna means TU is that you can buy medicines over the counter that you cannot get without a prescription in the UK.  You can also get a prescription for up to 3 months for a lot more medicines than the pill, it can be done for a lot of "regular" medication.  It all depends on the Doctor and how often he wants to see you

Archived