Complete France Forum

Ladies - private messages only please ......

Suninfrance

Sorry to bring this post to the top of the list again but along the same lines where can you have this proceedure carried out?  At the local Docs or do you have to go to a 'ladies clinic' or something similar at the Hospital?

Also what is French for 'coil' and where do you have these checked, fitted/removed at?

A GP will do a frottis or you can go to a gyn/ob.

A coil is a sterilé (sp).

And vasectomies, well they don't usually do them, not even sure if they are legal. French men, so we were told, consider them the equivilant of castration, which it isn't ofcourse.

Yes, a coil (IUD) is called a stérilet. Vasectomy is available, but you have to have an obliging GP who knows which urologist to refer you to. Usually a deposit in the sperm bank is a pre-requisite to the procedure.

Hope that helps!

I am not sure whether you can just go to a nurse, but if you don't want to wait for a doctor's appointment you could go to a laboratory, where of course they have nurses and ask them to do you one there, but you would have to check they would be prepared to explain the results to you, or go and see your doctor afterwards because otherwise the results are gibberish. (unless you happen to be a medic...) Of course if you are in the French social security system there is no point in doing this because you would not be reimbursed.

Did you see on the news the other night that they are going to have a cervical cancer campaign just like the breast cancer one?

From 2007 I believe, you will be automatically sent for IF you are over 50.  Can't remember what age I started going for mine but I know I was in my twenties.  Seems a bit late to be starting.

Which isn't a lot of good if you need one in 2005 . . .

And vasectomies, well they don't usually do them, not even sure if they are legal. French men, so we were told, consider them the equivilant of castration, which it isn't ofcourse.

I never knew this - you learn something new everyday!

Oh my husband will be pleased to hear....... have been trying to convince him for ages the benefits ......it's is only a wee snip - nothing in comparison to the torture I have endured. !!!

Deby (17)

I never knew this - you learn something new everyday!

Oh my husband will be pleased to hear....... have been trying to convince him for ages the benefits ......it's is only a wee snip - nothing in comparison to the torture I have endured. !!!

Deby (17)

Archived