Complete France Forum

Resident or visitor??

Ron Avery

This is marginally more health than finance but it revolves around the E 106/Carte Vitale and its relation to the tax system in France.

If a person comes to France and  rents a property, for say a year (as many have advocated as sensible), because they do not want to commit to moving here until they have tried the life and ,  they retain a UK address and pay UK income tax on a civil service pension, should they have applied for an E 106 and a Carte Vitale?  If not what are the likely consequences if or when  they go back to the UK?  

Do they now count as tax resident?  And by applying for an E 106 and carte vitale, which as I understand is issued to those intending to LIVE in France, have they A) obtained health care in France by unintentional deception and B) Now that they are on the French system,  if they do not submit a tax return to the French what is the likelihood of any action by the French?.

I have my own thought on this one, but would appreciate informed opinions from others.

Well my thought is that they are resident, which could turn out to be simply temporary residence or permanent.

Should they do things properly and apply to the Caisse de Maladie, I think that it should be done properly.

Getting back into the Uk system is easy enough, that is never a problem, as soon as one becomes resident in the UK then simply registering with a doctor seems to be enough. I suppose that one could ask for an E form from the Caisse de Maladie to send in too, but ofcourse that would mean doing things properly in the France to start with.

We had to get into the french system straight away as my husband worked, there was no should we, shouldn't we, involved.

[quote]Well my thought is that they are resident, which could turn out to be simply temporary residence or permanent. Should they do things properly and apply to the Caisse de Maladie, I think that it shoul...[/quote]

TU said ""Should they do things properly and apply to the Caisse de Maladie, I think that it should be done properly" 

Not quite sure what you mean by the above but I think you missed the point, they applied for an E106 before leaving the UK and took it to CPAM and got a Carte Vitale, despite the fact that they had not actually decided to stay in France at that time.

Archived