Complete France Forum

e106 expiration and calculating costs for next year (2006)

Dc

I have received confirmation from Newcastle that our E106 expires on the 31/12/2005. We are off to our local CPAM office tomorrow to organise continuing  with health cover and join the CMU.

We have been living in France now for one year and will fill in our first tax return in 2006 for 2005.

We are trying to calculate both our tax liability on interest from our capital (our only source of income) and also the liability for CMU. Can anybody tell us the allowances/thresholds for 2006 so that we know what to expect to pay as income tax and CMU payments and also what info/docs will be required by the CPAM office. Will our CMU payment be based on 2005 income or 2004 income. Any help greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

If you have been only here for one year why is your E 106 expiring?  Were you only entitled to one year?  We had a letter like this after only one year despite being told originally that we had two years, so I phoned Newcastle only to ber told that it was a mistake and that the E 106 was valid for another year.

If your E 106 has expired you may be asked  to do a signed attestaion of your income for 2005, this of course should be as accurate as possible, as it will ultimately be compared with your tax return in March/Apri 2006l, often the fiddle factor is the exchange rate, so sort that out before you make any statements.

Officially, it seems E106 may be issued for 'up to two years' - the actual time you get depends on many things, like your British work record and the NI contributions you have made, and the time of year when you apply for your form (that alone can make a difference of almost one year). The questioner may have had a two year E106 and spent a  year in another European country before settling in France. There are many valid reasons why not everybody gets two years of helath care in France before having to join the system.

You may also be asked for bank statements, copies of UK tax documents etc to back up your attestation of income. It all depends on your local CPAM office. You will definitely need to provide evidence of identity, address, marital status etc.

As a very rough guide, if you are not working, reckon on paying about 8% of your income in social security charges, and, for income tax, about the same you would expect to pay in Britain on an equivalent income. I stress that this a very rough rule indeed and the actual amounts depend on many different factors.

Don't know where the 2005 rates can be found, but I did a google and found

http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=8049

anf for CMU payments the best I could find was,

"No payments are due from low-income singles, couples or families (tariffs available from CPAM). Low-income families, including many retired expatriates, are entitled to a free top-up policy. 

For people above the minimum income levels, the contribution (cotisation) is 8% of the difference between the appropriate family threshold level and taxable income - marked on the French income tax return in the row with two asterisks as relevant fiscale de revenu. CPAM will make these calculations.

Archived