Complete France Forum

Info post: E016 application

Ssc

These are my experiences. If the mods agree its useful, perhaps it could be moved to the appropriate FAQ.

-----------------------------

Just applied for E106 and wanted to share the process with you which seems to have been streamlined and was very simple.

Rung a number in Newcastle that I obtained from old forum post and was given a new telephone number to ring from a message.

Telephone number is 0044 191 218 1999.

Rang them. Very pleasant lady answered with 'Pension Section' She took very brief details, name, NI number etc. and asked a few questions to verify my qualiification e.g. are you living abroad and not working. She explained that the whole process would be completed on the phone and  provisionally arranged a mutually convienient time the next day for another advisor to call me at home in France. End of call.

She rang back 10 mins later and confirmed the phone appointment.

Next day another advisor rang withing a few mins of the appointment time and took further details. First problem was that she could find no record on my NI contributions for last two years. I thought at this point 'here we go' but no. She asked if I had my P60 for 2005 - Yes. P45 from when I retired -Yes.  I also gave her the figures over the phone and she confirmed that it appeared I was entitled to the maximum two years cover. I was given the alternative of posting the P60 & P45, faxing or e-mail attachment. She also asked about my wife who I knew would not qualify as she has not worked in the last few years and had insufficient contributions. She agreed and said she would also send me a letter confirming this fact that I could give to CPAM so she could be added to my CV. Total time on phone 10 mins.

I faxed her within the hour, also including my ex-employers details in case she needed to verify anything with them re the missing NI contributions

Three hours later I received a phone call from yet another advisor who confirmed they had received the fax and that  they were happy with the documents and that I was entitled to the two years E106. It would be in the post TONIGHT!

The three ladies who dealt with me were all very pleasant and helpful and the whole process from initial call to posting of E106 was 30 hours.

My case was quite straightforward as I have paid NI contributions continously for may years prior to my early retirement. To contradict an earlier post I was told the last three years counted not two and included the last part year provided earnings wre over £3950

Hope this helps some of you who are about to apply. Will post again when I receive the E106.

Tony            

• 2 weeks later...

But what happens when the E106 runs out?

I knew mine had expired at the end of 2005, but I had not got a letter to state that I was no longer eligible to cover,  so I phoned Newcastle and was  told that " we no longer issue the letters, you have tp apply to us for one"   So I posted this on this Forum, only to find this week that two other people I know HAD received letters fromm Newcastle telling them that their E 106's had expired[:$],  So there are people at W&P at Newcastle to whom an expression about arse and elbow applies.

Like everywhere, I suppose government departments have good and bad employees. I guess I was lucky.

My E106 clearly has a final expiry date on it. I wonder if CPAM will accept that, or require confirmation when the time comes.

Incidentally with the E106 came documentation and application form for a EHIC (new E111) which indicates that the UK will supply the EHIC valid for travel all over EEC with cover until expiry date of E106.

Tony

Don't know about the EHIC being issued from the UK, I thought I read on here that you have to have the French issued version if you live here and that is still issued annually, although you do not have to have one if you go to the UK

As far as the E 106 is concerned, the fun now begins, you are now going to encounter French bureaucracy.[:P]  You have to take your E 106 to your CPAM with every document that you can think of and more, birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, utility bills, bank details, ( take an RIB)  etc etc 

As far as the expiry of the E 106 is concerned, up to now CPAM will not just go by the expiry date and will require confirmation from the UK that you are no longer covered by an E 106.

Then you go off to CPAM again with your letter and with all those documents again, plus an advice of income and tax paid, it matters not that they saw many of these documents the fiirst time, or that you have a Carte de Titre for which you will have had to produce all these plus photos and proof of income, no, they all have to be produced again.[:'(]

I assume that if the UK is paying for your health treatment through an E106 then they would also be paying for the use  the Euro Health Card.

see

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAdviceForTravellers/GettingTreatmentAroundTheWorld/EEAAndSwitzerland/EEAAndSwitzerlandArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4114794&chk=qoQ5oN

Which says

If you are already abroad, you’ll need to apply for an EHIC by post and send a photocopy of your E-form (i.e. E101, E102 or E106)

Whether or not you need an EHIC to go to Britain is still a bit of a grey area. The EHIC's predecessor, the E111, was definitely not required for Britain. Now, however, health practitioners in Britain may ask for evidence that you are in fact entitled to treatment on the NHS. In the case of French residents that would be, for example, a French passport or identity card. The Carte de Sejour is no longer required for British living in France, and few of us will have a French passport. So the best way to show our entitlement to treatment and avoid having to pay is to have an EHIC.

The health caisses in France would not issue E111s for visitors to Britain, but it seems that most of them will issue an EHIC. So it may not be legally necessary, but it could make life a lot simpler if you need treatment if you can show your health card.

TU

I think it’s a bit of a bureaucratic loop, and our two posts aren't mutually exclusive.Let me try to reconcile these two seemingly contradictory references. 

Let us assume that you live in France covered by a UK 106 and are about to go travelling and want an EHC.

1 As you are living abroad on an E106 the French will not issue one, it will be issued and paid for by the UK. (My first post).

2 If you leave France to travel in the EU, to Spain for example, then you would use your UK funded EHC, (You are a foreigner and Spain won't care where your EHC came from)

3 If you are returning to the UK, then as TU's post says you will no longer automatically qualify as a resident and should be treated as a foreigner visitor.

The fact you hold an E106 is itself proof that you no longer qualify as a resident, and underlines that you need  a valid EHC to show that you qualify for cover under the EU rules.

4 The possession of the EHC means that you will be covered for emergencies etc etc but could in theory mean that you would be billed for non emergency procedures

The fact that the EHC is actually UK funded is in fact irrelevant.

Now as Will says the whole question of the whether an EHC/E111 is in practice needed for travel to the UK, is a maater of long standing debate. The law and NHS are quite specific as to who qualifies for free treatment, but Doctors and Nurses do not have the instinctive reaction of checking who is going to pay for a course of treatment, it is simply not part of their culture. However TU’s link is itself an indication that things are changing, and will change even more as  questions are asked as to where has all the extra money gone, and what can be done to top up resources.........

Thankyou for posting that.  As the 'doubt' is there, and has been for a couple of years now we started to take E111's back with us and now have our EHIC's.

I called both the Dept of Health and Newcastle about this and as has been said, it is a very gray area and I /we prefer to know that we are covered than leave it to chance.

Archived