Complete France Forum

NEWWIE

JON&CO

HI ALL

WE ARE DUE TO MOVE TO LIMOUSIN IN FEW WEEKS AND ARE LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON SIGNING WITH GP ETC AND AN EXPLANATION OF AMBULANCE ARRANGEMENT.  OUR 2 YEAR OLD HAS JUST BEEN HOSPITALIZED WITH ASTHMA RELATED ILLNESS THAT OBVIOUSLY CAUSES CONCERN AS WE ARE VERY RURAL.  ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  ALSO ANY ADVICE ON TOP UP MEDICAL INSURANCE PLEASE.

THANKS

JON&CO

As no-one has answered yet I will try. First, get your phone installed

then ask at your Mairie where the nearest doctor is then make an

appointment and introduce youselves. For medical emergencies dial 15 (

SAMU). They will arrange an ambulance. Whether you pay or not 

depends on your type of health insurance.  Unless your french is

fluent, keep a piece of paper by the phone with words prepared in

french for what to say in various situations. Also in french how to

find your house. Pat.

Top Up insurance, we got quotes from various insurance companies, AXA, Groupama and our bank and then sat down and compared them and took the one we thought gave us the best for the budget we had. We are in our 40's and pay 900 euro for 12 months for the two of us, and fortunately or unfortunately, however you want to look at it, we have had more than our money back. I had a thyroid operation and dental treatment costing 400 euro as has my husband, and we have never had to pay a penny. Our reimbursements from the top up are 130% of whatever the social pay.

You will need a Carte Vitalle also ofcourse. Try these links to see if they help

This first one is for the Dordogne but the english document is useful.

www.cpam-dordogne.fr/anglais/index.htm - web site for the Dordogne CPAM (medical/social security) in english. Telephone 05 53 35 60 00    from 8.30 am to 17:30 pm If you go to this web site there is now a downloadable 80 page document in English explaining the French health system, it is excellent.

www.expathealthdirect.co.uk

Forward Planning your Healthcare in France - Article by  Peter Owen

http://www.cpam87.fr/SiteWeb/anglais/ English site for the Haute Vienne

Hi all

Sorry for delay in expressing thanks for the advice give - all very helpful.  Things here getting very hectic and slightly stressful but can't wait for the move!  Once again thanks for taking time to help.

All the best

JON&CO

On my last visit to get my heart drugs prescription renewed, my doctor gave me some boxes of pills out of his drawer to use instead of prescribing them (they're the most expensive of my treatment at 80 euros a go).  When I got home, I checked the boxes and the labels were in English.  I reckon the last "owner" must have recently passed away at some time.

Strange feeling, taking dead man's pills...... [;-)]

Archived