Complete France Forum

One euro more for the Doc.

Miki

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I think Katie is right - it's from 'pommy' from 'pomegranete'. There is no evidence for 'POHM' - and acronyms like this weren't used before WW2.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/pommy.htm
[/quote]

I will stand corrected on that, but another one for you Dick. Where does the slang for the French come from? Frogs!!!!

John.

P.S. If Cassis looks like that he must be on the opposite to Chrispp... One or 2 fags a month and FAR to much wine. Got to be better than the opposite Chris...

I always thought it was the frogs' legs connection.  The others are interesting, though.

"Doctor, Doctor, help me, I woke up today and found I've got frog's legs!"

"Just hop up on the couch and we'll have a look."

Boom, boom!

Back on track now, I have just taken a phone all from our Doctors receptionist. Our youngest had an appointment booked for wednesday, for a non urgent routine medical. This appointment has beencancelled because the Docltor will not be available. The new appointment is Saturday afternoon.

Try to get an urgent appointment in the UK for Saturday, it is neigh on imposssible to get one during the week!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]No consensus but a lot of competing theories:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=137534
[/quote]

Sorry Opas, one more small diversion then back on track, promise!!

A couple of hundred years ago the Parisians, wots now 75, used to call the poor sods that lived in the swamps that surrounded the City of Paris 'grenouille' cause they always had wet feet. The British soldiers picked up the expression and used it to call all the French. So it ain't an English put down after all.

Sorry mate, don't like you web site exploanation this time!!

John.

P.S. I have nothing but praise for the French health system.

[quote user="Opas"]

Try to get an urgent appointment in the UK for Saturday, it is neigh on imposssible to get one during the week!

[/quote]

I've been trying to get an appointment for a week now.  Our GP has this mad system where you have to ring in the morning to get an appointment for that day - and they are offered on a first come first served basis.  After several failed attempts I am now resorting to practising on my son's playstation to speed up my dialling fingers.  By the time they bury me I'll have the fastest fingers in the Midlands  [Www]

Kathie

We have to phone after 2pm to get an appointment the next day, but I think if we don't mind waiting more than a day, we can make an appointment in the ordinary way.

No Saturday surgery at all now - if we need a doctor on a Saturday we go to a clinic held in the hospital (not casualty)

Archived