Complete France Forum

One euro more for the Doc.

Miki

Sorry but deletions are just so rampant now that it is totally, and utterley cheesing me right off.

All you get is  Off Topic as the reason for threads

and posts being deleted and if that were honestly the case, then a

quick look around the forum would show quite emphatically, that quite

naturally, most threads go off topic at one stage or another, yet quite

bizarrely, only selected posts get deleted by the Mods and many off

topic posts stay.

It's going up again?????   You're right, it surely wasn't that long ago they added an extra euro-for-the-doc.  I distinctly remember the campaign, just one euro, it's not much to pay for solidarity and all that, help out the health service........

I think the state of the health service is coming more to the fore as a topic of major concern.  Up till now it's just rumbled along in the background.

Conversations between French people about the health service are starting to sound like Brits moaning about the NHS!   [:)]

Still rather be sick here than in England.My husband had his medical with a french doctor today to renew his English HGV licence it cost 39 euros where in England it cost £70 5 years ago.It had to be done by a french doctor because we have lived here for 5 months and has been told by the maire that he cant change to a french one until hes been here 6 months.

[quote user="riberac"]

Still rather be sick here than in England.My husband had his medical with a french doctor today to renew his English HGV licence it cost 39 euros where in England it cost £70 5 years ago.It had to be done by a french doctor because we have lived here for 5 months and has been told by the maire that he cant change to a french one until hes been here 6 months.

[/quote]

Well surely now he has had his medical, filled in the appropriate paperwork and surrendered his licence to the prefecture, he will get a french licence in return.

Ps Please inform us of the "quality" of his medical, compared with one he had in the UK.

Interested to hear comparison.Years ago when we had to have a medical in France to obtain a carte sejour we ended up in a dirty corridor with people coughing their guts up while we waited to have a chest xray the cost £65 . We then had to have a blood sample taken, the needle was so blunt I couldnt stop bleeding and had to throw away all my clothes. I think it was a test for Aids [8-)] Dont start me on the French Health Service[:P] I know others have had good experiences [:D]

The doctor was a lovely man who spoke perfect English,gave a very thorough medical and made the experience pleasant.

My husbands driving licence does not have to be taken to the maire but sent back to the DVLA (This has all been ok'd by England) Personally I can see why the Australians call the British wingeing poms.

Did your husband have the the english Medical form then or did he get the paperwork from the Maire, MOH has recently had his done (we both changed to a french licence about 2 years ago) he was given a form for the doctor to complete(he had to go to a doctor from a list provided....not our own) he was then given a form with his licence details and his photo on it to keep until his was returned to him.

My husband had to send his licence back to the DVLA in England to get his HGV licence renewed and the form was one that they sent him.No I am not Australian and no I do not live in the Dordogne just because I chose the name riberac I live in the Limousine.I personally love France and the french and just get upset when people sit on these site or get together in groups in the English bars etc and pull France and the french to pieces.

OK Riberac, I understand that but I do think you have been a little rude in generalising about the English or pomms as you prefer to call them.  Mind you (and this is where I will put my cap in hand), if YOU are English then YOU are allowed to say it.[:)]

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

OK Riberac, I understand that but I do think you have been a little rude in generalising about the English or pomms as you prefer to call them.  Mind you (and this is where I will put my cap in hand), if YOU are English then YOU are allowed to say it.[:)]

[/quote]

I agree that the 1€ is a 100% rise, but the service reflects it too!!

Just as a matter of interest,,,,, pom should be POHM (shortened by Antipideans to pom) stands for 'prisoners of his/her majesty' so the people who are actually South of the Equator on that rather large island are the POHMs, NOT US!!!!!!!! [Www]

John (English in France)

Nice one John.  My mother always told me that the Australians called the english this because of their complexion.  My mother now lives next door to Furry Knix and they get on very well.

Anyway, my apologies to the lovely Miki for hijacking his thread.

quietSo I will send myself a little message and sneak away quietly to the lounge.

Could it be to do with eating pomegranates to avoid scurvy, like limes and Limey in the USA?  I know the latter is correct but I'm just throwing out the former as a suggestion - I've no idea if pomegranates were a staple on Ye Alde Hearts of Oak!

So it doesn't sound very promising as a facial cleansing product.  Here is a picture of Borba Pomegranate facial cleanser:

[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AMHVWI.01-A1E5XTDSAV2ESC._AA250_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]

and what happened when I used it.

[img]http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~millert/google/voting/categories/othermonkeys/4/page3161_red%20face1.jpg[/img]

Cost me 20 euros at the toubib's, that did!

Phil

Phil, you are quite close to one of the the dictionary etymologies for 'pom' or 'pommy' with your picture of my old mucker Dick Smith after a bad night.

Apparently one of the 'pomegranate' theories refer to the pale-skinned Englishman's complexion resembling the skin of a pomegranate after said Englishman had spent a few days in the Australian sun.

Another is that 'pomegranate' was used as a slang term for the similar-sounding word 'immigrant'.

It also offers the 'prisoner of her majesty' alternative. Other suggested acronyms are 'port of Melbourne' and 'prisoner of mother England', but the disctionary does not regard these as valid as the term 'pommy' was in use well before the vogue for acronyms.

A further interesting possibility is that 'pom' is short for 'pompous' - Australians certainly regard the English thus.

[quote user="Will "]

A further interesting possibility is that 'pom' is short for 'pompous' - Australians certainly regard the English thus.

[/quote]

Hmmm ... Pommy Pussy?

Edit - Good Lord - the forum software does not allow a colloquial reference to a cat!  What did Mrs Slocombe say?  Something like "The sight of my pussy drives him mad?"

[img]http://www.jeddy.org/aybs/sloO.jpg[/img]

I wish people would not go on about how cheap medical treatment is in France as though that was a sign a of a good service. Doctors here are woefully underpaid. How would you like to study for 7 years to be a doctors then charge people the princely sum of 14 quid for a consultation, out of which you have to pay for your own surgery and receptionist and self-employed social charges?

Ah rubbish, its not the word POM that matters, or the origins, who cares?, its more the 'whinging' bit that applies more. So what if the fee goes up a euro? you've all got it much better here than back in old blighty haven't you or else you wouldnt all be here!. Cheap land, cheap houses, cheap medical, cheap beer and booze. What more could you all want?.  Next you'll be expecting Beckham to kick a goal and he's only paid 35 squillion pounds a year!.

Archived