Complete France Forum

Epipens

powerdesal

Can anyone tell me if Epipens are available in France.

For those who may not be familiar with them, an Epipen is a self

administed auto-injector containing adrenaline ( epinephrine) and is an

emergency stop-gap treatment for severe allergic reactions (

anaphylaxis), usually related to insect bites/stings. Its use is to

'buy time' ( 10 to 15 mins) to allow proper medical attention.

Regards

I'm not sure whether your need for an epi-pen is based on knowledge that you, or a member of your family is highly allergic to stings etc.

I had 3 anaphylactic episodes following wasp stingings but was fortunate enough (living most of the time in London) to be close to a hospital. All very scary stuff it was too. Apart from difficulty in breathing, blue lips and heartbeat racing, the most unsettling thing was what is descibed as ' an impending sense of doom' - I really thought I was going to die yet was oddly calm about that.

I was referred to St, Marys Hospital in Paddington where there is a special allergy unit. They carried out tests to confirm that it was wasp stings I was allergic to (and came up with a small list of other things to look our for eg cats). They then started a course of treatment requiring me to visit them at first weekly and then monthly over a period of about 2 years. The treatment involves injecting minute, but increasing doses of wasp 'venom'. By the end of the course I was getting the equivilent of 3 wasp stings and feeling only very mild irritation (far less than a nettle). The proof of the pudding is whether it actually works 'in anger'. I can't say, because I've not been stung again since (I've always been convinced that insects 'sense' fear!) but I was stung by 2 bees last month and felt very little pain and, more importantly, had no adverse reaction. I'm not sure how widespread this type treatment is (and it was 'proper' medical expert treatment, not flaky 'allergist' stuff) but I really would recommend it.

The hospital also gave advice on the use of the epi-pen (and let me try out a needle-less one to see the pressure needed and ensure to inject it in the right place!). They also said that it should only be used when anaphylactic symptoms are obvious ince adrenaline is  powerful stuff and may not always be wise to use. An important suggestion was to take anti-histamine tablets one week before 'exposure' - i.e. entering areas, activities or holidays where the wasps, mosquitoes, bees etc will be. This ensures that the body is 'topped up' and more able to fight effectively any insects/pollen which might get you and minimise reaction.

I hope this is useful.

Darnsarf,

thanks for reply, a useful tip about keeping topped up with anti-histamines.

My posted question was most definitely based on personal knowledge. I

also have been hospitalised three times with anaphyactic shock

symptoms, the last two resulted in unconsciousness by the time I got

treatment. Quite scary for my wife who was (luckily) available to get

me to hospital.

The first two were ant bites, tiny little ants that you would hardly

notice. The last was a spider, again a little 'jumping spider'. Very

rapid onset of severe blistering over the whole body but starting at

the groin ( I was bitten on the upper chest), no sense of 'impending

doom' at all, dont know what my heart rate was as I lost consciousness

within five mins of getting in the car.

Many years ago I used to react badly (but not that badly ) to jelly

fish spawn when diving and things obviously got progressively worse.

The very strange thing is, between ant bite No 2 and the spider

incident was about 6 years and in that time I had a quad heart bypass,

I was got by an ant subsequently without any adverse effect. I thought

I was over the problem until the spider got me, then it was much worse,

or at least the reaction happened faster.

The type of allergy treatment you had in UK is not an option here and

niether are Epipens available in the UAE, its hospital or nothing.

There are a number of deaths each year in the Emirates due to

anaphylactic shock and I find it quite odd that epipens are not in use.

Self administerd adrenaline has its dangers I agree, but death really would spoil my day !!!!! [:)]

Many thanks again for your reply,

Regards

One of the problems with anaphylaxis seems to be its unpredictability. I was, and still am very prone to strong reaction (but not near anaphylaxis) with all kinds of things - I always seem to be the one that gets the first and the most mozzie bites that swell up over days.. Similarly, it doesn't seem to be the case that reactions will always get worse over time.

It's a very scary condition - often more so for family members. If you've got any kind of medical cover, I'd be inclined to find the most senior immunologist you can find locally and have a chat. They should certainly be able to prescribe an epi-pen at least.  Bear in mind that you need quite a few of them. Despite my 'treatment', I have one at home, another at work and another (if I remember!) with me, particularly if we go for walks etc. They also have a limited shelf life (2 years I think). If you carry one on planes etc, remember to take a letter from a medical practitioner with you explaining why you need it (otherwise it won't be allowed on board). Good luck

Archived