Complete France Forum

A Medical Nightmare! continued.

tj

Hi

Thanks for all the previous sympathetic responses, I have a bit of an update as you requested.

My daughter was diagnosed by the clinic on Monday with "Allergetic Conjunctivitus with Complications" not quite sure what are the specific complications at this point ( I think they said it was some infection of the eye).

They said the glasses prescribed here are wrong, infact she should not be wearing them at all, her eyesight difficulty stems from the Allergetic Conjunctivitus and without them she can see 80 - 100%.

They said she will need to wear darkened plain glasses at any time the sun is visible( this maybe longterm but may not be neccessary if they can treat the allergy successfully )  and an ultra soft contact lens at night.

They have given her some medications and will return to the clinic for further examination next week, to establish the amount of improvement.

sounds positive but don't want to jump the gun as they say!

tj .............

Sounds like a step forward.  At least you seem to be getting close to a definitive diagnosis, after which comes the treatment / medication.  

Very best wishes with how things progress from here.  Keep us posted. 

Allergic conjunctivitis (or "Pinkeye") is a very common condition which occurs when the membrane covering the eyeball and inside of the eyelids becomes irritated through the presence of an allergen.  Some common allergens include: pollen from trees, grass and ragweed, animal skin and secretions such as saliva, perfumes and cosmetics, skin medicines, air pollution, and smoke.  Eye infections can also be caused through the wearing of contact lenses.  The condition is usually treated with eyedrops containing antihistimines, non-steriod anti inflammatory drugs or mast cell stabilisers.

In your previous thread, you complained about your daughter having been examined by her opthamologist, then an optometrist, then a clinic in Bordeaux, then by the senior pediatrician at the hospital in Saintes.  You said she'd been subjected to blood tests, allergy tests endless drops and drugs.  Yet, this Kiev clinic immediately diagnoses a simple everyday condition of the sort your GP would normally be expected to recognise.  

I suspect it may not be a simple as that.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

In your previous thread, you complained about your daughter having been examined by her opthamologist, then an optometrist, then a clinic in Bordeaux, then by the senior pediatrician at the hospital in Saintes.  You said she'd been subjected to blood tests, allergy tests endless drops and drugs.  Yet, this Kiev clinic immediately diagnoses a simple everyday condition of the sort your GP would normally be expected to recognise.  

I suspect it may not be a simple as that.

[/quote]

Hi

Me too!! We have had anti histamine drops, infact during the period of problems, with the doctor's seemingly laid back attitude. I researched various possibilities myself, dry eye for one and various other complaints, and in conjunction with the pharmacist ( to determine the safety of drops and treatments available to us over the counter ) gave various suggested treatments to no avail.

The treatments and knowledge available in Kiev are second to none, with the very best of equipment and probably more important a real determination to find the solution to problems, not to simply pass the buck!

Just out of interest, they will tell you that there are millions of people prescribed glasses who do not need them, and that their problems are treatable but in the west it is easier and more acceptable just to prescribe glasses.

When my daughter was 11/ 12 and at a time when for example my daughter in england would have simply been prescribed glasses, she was treated over a period of a few weeks and recovered to acceptable levels of vision.

The treatment consisted of a series of eye exercises to be done at home, and a daily visit to the clinic, where a special pair of glasses, I suppose you could compare them to swimming goggles, had liquid introduced and allowed to wash over the eyes for approx 20 minutes. The idea as I understand was to redress an imbalance of fluid pressure and content within the eye itself, where such imbalance affected her sight. I watched the very simple but effective treatment, and at the time thought how we would not get this attention at home, and if they would even be familiar with its existance.

Archived