Complete France Forum

Vaccinations for school

Rob G

Hi!

We moved to Normandy from the UK nearly eight months ago. Our kids have been in primary school since January, and until recently no-one had said anything to us about needing to get their vaccinations up to the required French standards. My son is starting collège in September, so we had to tell the collège that over the summer we'll make sure he gets any outstanding vaccinations that he needs. We thought we might as well get this done for my daughter, too, even though she'll still be at primary.

Now, what I want to work out is, what's the cheapest and most efficient way of doing this? I've been told that GPs can give all the required vaccinations, but that for some of them you have to actually by the vaccine from a pharmacie first. But I'm not sure which ones we may need to buy. I'd rather avoid going to the doctor's once to find out what we need to buy, and a second time to get them administered, as presumably that would mean we'd have to pay for two doctor's appointments (or maybe even four - two for each child?).

Any ideas as to the easiest way to proceed?

Thanks,

Rob

We went to the doctor for my son's general 4yr old check-up. The appointment was charged for as normal and it transpired he needed a booster vaccination. A prescription was given. We paid for the prescription and then paid for another doctor appointment where the vaccination was administered. Maybe we paid for two appontments because the first was a check-up? If you know what is needed then make sure you tell the receptionist you just need a prescription or you may get charged for two consultations.

Just for your info, included in the prescription was a patch to be placed on the arm at least an hour before the injection is to be administered. This numbs the area and stops the child from screaming the place down. A waste of money in my view - I think it's stupid to give kids the impression that sticking a needle in your arm doesn't hurt...

Jane

Jane

What I meant was, what does it matter if a child thinks a needle going into their arm doesn't hurt.  I know plenty of folk that have had injections or blood tests as kids and are still scared out of their minds aged 40 something.  If it helps a 4 year old deal with the ordeal, then that's a thumbs up in my book.

[quote user="Rob G"]
Now, what I want to work out is, what's the cheapest and most efficient way of doing this? I've been told that GPs can give all the required vaccinations, but that for some of them you have to actually by the vaccine from a pharmacie first. But I'm not sure which ones we may need to buy. I'd rather avoid going to the doctor's once to find out what we need to buy, and a second time to get them administered, as presumably that would mean we'd have to pay for two doctor's appointments (or maybe even four - two for each child?).
[/quote]

Your doctor's appointments and pharmacy bills will be reimbursed under your CMU cover and mutuelle, so where's the problem?

Archived