Complete France Forum

Patient Records

Llwyncelyn

We are both registered with our local Doctor and the CPAM here in Normandie.  Had to go to see him today found out what I already knew that I had low blood pressure.  As he says low is better than high but as I said normal is better than low!

He is a graduate of Caen University Hospital and is really good.  However have seen him four times in the last year and he seems to deal with the complaints in isolation and prescribes accordingly.

In the UK our GP and whom I had known for over 30 years had a full and up to date data base with everything that he had prescribed and background that sort of thing.

Our French doctor does not maintain any patient records and thus perhaps could in the fullness of time be somewhat dangerous?

I understand that here one must take responsibility for ones own health but surely it is a prerequisite to maintain patient records.  Or am I asking too much?  |Or indeed worrying too much

As part of the reform of the Health Service, you will have a personal medical file which will contain information on your health (allergies, results of examinations, treatments in progress…). Created and updated by the doctor of your choice, this file will be computerized and confidential.  From mid 2007, other medical practitioners will be able to access your records with your authority.

From 2006, and with your authorisation, your doctor will be able to use your carte vitale to access your reimbursement record for the year.  This will enable him, for example, to check which drugs you are taking, in order to prescribe you the adequate treatment.

From 2007, new cartes vitale will be issued which will become the access key to your personal medical file and will contain certain medical data for use in the event of an emergency.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

From 2007, new cartes vitale will be issued which will become the access key to your personal medical file and will contain certain medical data for use in the event of an emergency.

[/quote]

Am I right in assuming that the above might be the reason why my Carte Vitale that I received a month or so ago has a validity until early 2007 where my E106 gives me cover for a year beyond that (i.e. they will need to be issuing new Carte Vitales late 2006/early 2007.

Ian

French GPs are way behind those in the UK in their use of IT and, in the way they keep up to date, preferring text books (old) and conferring with colleagues to searching for evidence based information on biomedical databases.  Our GPs have regular postgrad education meetings and training and professional librarians and trainers to help them get to grips with the masses of information out there.  Not so in France.

Sue[;-)]

Archived