Complete France Forum

Any suggestions re French Health Insurance

Greener grass?

I am here with my children for the next few months.  I currently have holiday health insurance which is due to run out soon.

I have signed up the children with the medical forms given by their School and opted for the 'bells and whsitles' approach.

Firstly does anyone know if that is truly a full health cover for them. It mentions everything including dentistry but my French is not good enough for the small print.

Secondly any suggestions for adult cover. My husband is worrking in the UK and visiting at week-ends so will remain covered by holiday insurance for the forseeable future.

Many thanks in advance if you are able to help

Lou

I think you will find that the forms you hve been given by school is insurance, not Medical cover. This insurance should cover them if they have an accident in school or on the school bus or if they loose their bag.

You should not be relying on Holiday cover if you are living here, you need to register with a GP .

I would advise you to contact Newcastle and explain your circumstances, you will need some paperwork( an E form depending on your indepth circumstances) to take to CPAM 

Holiday insurance will not cover you if you are living in France rather than just visiting. As you are not earning in France, your husband needs to apply for form E109 to give you proper cover. He will be covered by EHIC when he visits at weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

hello Will we are both in our sixties and relocating as soon as poss, after reading some

posts we wonder could you please give us some advice.

1, would we be able to live in reasonable comfort with a combined pension of £1300pm

2  being in our sixties how much will it cost for health care???????

3  can I still claim my DLA allowance in France

4 we will have App £70,000/80,000 left when our house is sold will we be able to buy

a 2/3 bed property with a reasonable garden.

I know it is a lot for you to answer but you seem knowledgeable in the posts

hope you do not mind us asking for your help, many thanks for your time

1. Probably - it depends on your expectations, but that's a lot more than many French families live on.

2. If you have E121 you will get the same as any French resident at no charge - you would need to get quotes from a French insurer for a top up if you need it. If not eligible for E121 then you will pay about 8% of income towards health care.

3. I don't think so, but somebody else might know for certain.

4. It should be possible, but not in an expensive area, e.g. near the coast or a major city.

Hope this helps

Archived