Complete France Forum

Free Medical Checkup

Sunday Driver

If your local CPAM has a medical centre attached to it, then you or any member of your family can apply for a free medical checkup.

There are no pre-conditions to fulfill, although priority is given to unemployed persons, pensioners, recipients of RMI, etc.

The periodic checkup comprises a medical consultation as well as analyses, tests and examinations which are tailored according to your age, gender, lifestyle, medical history and any additional risk factors.  It lasts approximately 2 hours.

The results of the examination are sent to you, with a copy (if you wish) to your medecin traitant.

Details can be found on the French Healthcare [url=http://www.ameli.fr/38/DOC/2737/article.html]website[/url].

I took one in 2004 and I believe that, as part of a preventive health check rather unseen in the UK, you can have one every 5 years.

Word of warning though: our appointment was set for 8:30 am one cold January morning and we had to arrive "à jeun" (empty stomac) for blood test. The trip took 1½ hours and it was a long wait before being offered coffee and plastic muffin...!

Very thorough tests and analyses (sp?), including lung capacity, electro cardiogram, eye, dental, hearing and other checks...

This checkup resulted in my OH being finally treated for varicose veins, a condition which had been ignored/dismissed for many many years in the UK.

Every now and again my sons get letters from Ora Sante advising them of their entitlement to a free checkup. We took our youngest along for one of these, but, despite the visit being 'free' the doctor still wanted the usual payment on the spot. We also only got the usual payment back...not the full amount. So the visit was not free.

[quote user="wen"]Every now and again my sons get letters from Ora Sante advising them of their entitlement to a free checkup. We took our youngest along for one of these, but, despite the visit being 'free' the doctor still wanted the usual payment on the spot. We also only got the usual payment back...not the full amount. So the visit was not free.[/quote]

I do not know who Ora Santé is/are, but I did not pay a cent and this is what they say on the page mentioned earlier by Sunday Driver:

[quote]Comment est pris en charge l'examen périodique de santé ?

L'examen

périodique de santé effectué dans le centre d'examens de santé de votre

caisse d'Assurance Maladie est entièrement pris en charge. Vous n'avez

pas à faire l'avance des frais.[/quote]

EDIT: Ora Santé appears to be a mutuelle. They are not the CPAM.

Archived