Complete France Forum

CMU (or not CMU?)

Deauville

There's so much useful information on this site that I keep getting side-tracked, so here's the question - in January we fall off the E106, we have a few years to go before we hit UK state pension age, I have a UK pension (only payable into a UK bank) and we have no other income and no intention of seeking work in France; add to that the fact that we have only been resident in France since May so are not yet in the tax system. I telephoned CPAM in Perigeux to explain the situation and have been sent an application form for CMU - the difficulty (one of them!) is that my pension is above the CMU threshold so I will naturally have to pay into the system in order to retain my Carte Vitale. SO - is this the correct form and do I fill it in and wait for it to be returned, OR - something else?

Merci[8-)]

When your E 106 expires, you should get a letter from the DSSS saying you are no longer entitled to healthcare in the UK - if you take this letter to CPAM, they should register you under the French system. We waited till we had this letter before registering, and it was all fairly easy and straightforward. I'm not sure that if regstering before your E106 had expired, you have complicated matters? Someone of more knowledgemay be able to advise you better, but we found CPAM (in Angouleme,16) extremely helpful and knowledgeable of what Les Anglais needed and should do.

Warren

Our CPAM were also very helpful - we fall into this category.  However, we did have to give the UK pensions people a nudge as they had still not sent the "end of E106" letter in spite of the fact that it is about to run out.  When we called them (yesterday as it happens) their reaction was "oh yes, you do need one, we'll send it."  I did not get the impression that it was in the course of being dealt with!

Maybe I have been a bit presumptuous but when I phone CPAM about a month ago they said I should contact them at the begining of December, at the time I felt it was a bit ambitious to be able to perform a beurocratic process in less than a month - especially as I also have yet to receive any notice from Newcastle!

Returning to Deauville's original question....

You will have been sent an application questionnaire for CMU de base.  You need to fill it in and return it to your CPAM.  They will then assess whether you qualify for free cover or whether you will have to pay a contribution.  In the latter case, it will be 8% of your taxable income after allowances, over a threshold of 7,083 euros. The contribution is payable by three trimestrial instalments.

Your taxable income after allowances is normally your revenu fiscale de reference which appears on your tax bill.  If you have a tax bill, then you just enter your RFR and return the questionnaire together with a copy of your tax bill.  If you don't have a tax bill yet, then you have to manually enter details of your income in the boxes on the questionnaire form and supply copies of the supporting documents, eg payslips, pension advices, bank statements.

CPAM will then issue a fresh attestation of cover and once you have this, you can pop into your local pharmacy and ask them to update your carte vitale in their machine.

Something is not quite right here. Why do you think that the E106 will expire in January 2007?  If you only became resident in France in May 2006 then you have only had 7 months,  the norm is up to two years,  so you would not expect to need to join the CMU until January 2008 (by which time you will have filed a tax return), so you either had your E 106 too early or you need to get on to Newcastle and ask why you are only getting 7 months on your E 106, they do make mistakes and send letters out too early, all of course  assuming that you paid full NI in the UK in the last three years.