Complete France Forum

Vitamin B12 injections

Elephant

Hello and Happy New Year all.

We are thinking of moving to France from the UK and are currently weighing up the fors/againsts. I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia some time ago and have been having quarterly injections of Vit B12 via the NHS at my local Health Centre and will have to for the rest of my life. Does anyone know how this would work in France? Do you think it would be classed in a similar way to insulin for diabetics? Do your medical records get forwarded to France? Would I need to visit a doctor for this or are there local health centres? I'm really a novice and would appreciate any help you can give me. Regrettably my French is not yet good enough to tackle the French Healthcare website, but I've found out my condition is not surprisingly called "anemie pernicieuse"!

Thank you.

When you move to France, you are required to register for state healthcare here - you will find full details on how to do this by reading this forum section.  One of the steps for registration is the selection of your own GP (medecin traitant) who will be responsible for your future healthcare. 

Your UK medical records are not automatically forwarded to France - you would have to ask your UK GP to provide you with copies.  That said, you do not necessarily need to bring them with you because your French GP will order the necessary tests to be carried out to establish your condition, and he will then decide what future treatment you require.  He will give you the necessary prescriptions for the medication which you take to the chemists.  You can then either return to your doctor to have it administered or you can use a local visiting nurse.

Under your state healthcare registration, you will be reimbursed around 70% of the cost of treatment, the remaining 30% being covered by a top-up insurance (commonly known as a mutuelle) which you will need to buy.  Certain serious/long term illnesses (like diabetes) are classified as affections de longue duree and qualify for 100% reimbursement, but anemie pernicieuse doesn't appear on the official list.  However, you will have your basic state healthcare cover plus your top-up mutuelle, so it shouldn't actually cost you anything extra for the treatment.

The registration process is quite simple, and in most people's experience, the standard of healthcare in France is extremely high.

Thank you for the very detailed reply and yes, I've been familiarising myself with the information on the Forum and very helpful it is too. I suppose having to go through the tests again and being reassessed after 20 years could be considered a GOOD THING. Keep my fingers crossed they don't find anything else...

Zoe

Archived