Complete France Forum

Do French Doctors have to resort to this ?

Frederick

I have just had an elderly lady  ( over 80 ) explain to me what her eye consultant in the UK has had to do for her .....Do French doctors have to resort to this ?....I hope not .

The woman on  examination by her consultant was informed that her Macular Degeneration could in his view be prevented further by an injection. The injection which costs £500 would help her to retain what sight she now has. This injection recommended by the consultant was  NOT one that the NHS would pay for ...The poor woman stated she was not in a position to pay the £500 and . it is possible over time she may need more than one injection of this drug to keep her sight .

The consultant then stated he was going to register her as Blind ...this way she will be able to apply for financial help from the state in benefits  for the disabled .  I will not say  here what I think of this system being necessary. but I say " Thank god for doctors like this" ....   she can now save the benefit payments...to save her sight !

[quote user="Frederick"]

I have just had an elderly lady  ( over 80 ) explain to me what her eye consultant in the UK has had to do for her .....Do French doctors have to resort to this ?....I hope not .

The woman on  examination by her consultant was informed that her Macular Degeneration could in his view be prevented further by an injection. The injection which costs £500 would help her to retain what sight she now has. This injection recommended by the consultant was  NOT one that the NHS would pay for ...The poor woman stated she was not in a position to pay the £500 and . it is possible over time she may need more than one injection of this drug to keep her sight .

The consultant then stated he was going to register her as Blind ...this way she will be able to apply for financial help from the state in benefits  for the disabled .  I will not say  here what I think of this system being necessary. but I say " Thank god for doctors like this" ....   she can now save the benefit payments...to save her sight !

[/quote]

I am afraid to say that this is exactly my Fathers experience (in the UK) except that the bill was £5K! He has raised the money himself. He is 78.

I mentioned it to our (French) doctor, who was taken aback by the amount. He suggested that they would "do" it in Rennes for about 1000€ (obviously my Father won't qualify for treatment on the French State). Our doctors ambition is to work for the NHS in London. Wierd.

Recent news is that doctors (GPs let alone consultants) in the NHS have had a pay rise of 63% in the past 2 years and now average £118,000 pa. I expect he would like a bit of that, I know I would.

The story is that the BMA ran rings around the government (Department of Health) pay negotiators.

They might well have had a pay rise of 63% and be earning over £100K pa, However, I cannot book an appointment ahead, I have to phone on the day, and at 8.00am I am told it is full unless I am an emergency, but I can go to my nearest walk in centre and queue for anything between 3 and 8 hours. Progress!

[quote user="Mister Fluffy"]
The story is that the BMA ran rings around the government (Department of Health) pay negotiators.
[/quote]

It always has done. Aneurin Bevan, trying to get consultants 'on board' the NHS in the late 40's said he had to 'stuff their mouths with gold' before they agreed...

Archived