Complete France Forum

Americans in France

Evianers

Could someone please give a ball-park monthly figure to be paid to the Mutuelle for a married couple late 50s who hope to immigrate to France but who have no track record in Europe. This is their stumbling block and they want to know whether they can afford to come and live in France or not. TIA everyone.

A ball park figure?  Say, around 1,200 euros per annum to provide reasonable/medium range cover for the two of them.  This is on top of their compulsory state healthcare contributions, of course....

They can obtain on-line quotes from the French insurers based on their personal requirements, then make a reasoned comparison of costs.

I think it's called hedging one's bets: apparently some folks with whom they have been in touch regarding this topic actually do this, so that if anything really major/serious occurs, they can hot-foot it back to the US. At least, that's as I understand it, although the forwarded message sent to us is so badly written, it's a little difficult to make out. Thanks anyway.

Frankly, considering how expensive health insurance is in the U.S., I would truly hesitate to pay for anything.  Besides,  you don't become eligible for Medicare until age 65 (unless you're on medical disability), so if they're in their 50s, it's not really a question.  Do you think they've confused paying into Medicare with paying into Social Security?  Social Security in the U.S. is NOT medical insurance, it's the pension system.  Since as a U.S. citizen we're supposed to be reporting our taxes no mater where we live, they could probably still manage to do that if they wanted to be sure that they got full benefits once they reach retirement age.  We're all entitled to our benefits, even if we don't currently live in the U.S.

PG

Archived