Complete France Forum

Cover for children under 16

Tony F Dordogne

I understand the health system/longue duree legislation for adults but a chum has asked me about longue duree for her daughter who (a) was born with learning difficulties and (b) was born with an eye condition which means she has to have high powered lenses or glasses.

Are children in France exempted from paying for medical treatment?  And does longue duree also cover children with leaning difficulties?

Her daughter has been here two years and is coming up 16.

All help gratefully received.

Tony

The qualification for 100% reimbursement for affections de longue duree applies to everyone, regardless of age. 

You can check the full list of approved ALDs [url=http://www.ameli.fr/assures/droits-et-demarches/par-situation-medicale/en-cas-d-affection-de-longue-duree/qu-8217-est-ce-qu-8217-une-a.l.d_deux-sevres.php]here[/url], but I don't see the conditions you mention as being featured there.  In any case, her doctor would be the one to decide whether he could recommend her for ALD status.

In some respects, the question is immaterial because the child will be covered under the parent's CPAM account and the usual 70% costs will be met by the state, with the parent's top-up insurance covering the rest.

My daughter is covered 100% for anything to do with her ALD, but if she gets a cold/chicken pox then we pay like anyone else does.

Her condition is not found directly on the list ALD, but if you read between the lines(or the doctor does) it is included in there . ie , her syndrome is not mentioned , but her syptoms are included in some of the othrs on the list.

Archived