Complete France Forum

What if I get pregnant?

Lou-Lou

We are selling up and moving to France in a few months initially to live with family, but with a view to buying a property of our own to renovate. Since we will not be employed and therefore not paying securite sociale, nor are we retired, what would be the best way of us gaining access to health care? I am especially concerned about costs if I was to become pregnant! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You definately need to register with CPAM. And pay into it.

If you do not, and get pregnant, you are up the spout money-wise. You will have countless pathology tests apart from anything else, and they are not cheap or free.

Take it from one who knows. Don't assume it is all 'free' here because it is not.

Once you are with CPAM your pregnancy is covered 100%.

I would not consider living here, before retirement age, without some health cover. Especially if having a baby was either in mind, or a possibility.

You need to apply to Newcastle for a form E106, which you will receive if you or your husband have been working in the UK. Take the form to CPAM in France, together with all your documents and you will receive health cover at the same level as a French person (generally up to 70%). When the E106 expires (they are valid for 2 years at most) or if you are refused an E106 due to paying insufficent NI in the UK, you still need to go to CPAM again with all your documents, plus proof of your income for the previous year. They will assess how much your health cover will cost (8% of income over a threshold of about 8.000 euros I think) and will arrange your health cover.

In addition you can take out insurance to cover the other 30% or so of your health bills.

Hope this helps

Archived