Complete France Forum

Nurofen vs Nuroflex

Sharkster

I have just got back from the doctor and amongst other things he prescribed me Nuroflex.  As far as I can tell they are just 400mg version of Nurofen but on the packet it says they are for migraines aswell.  Anyway I took one and it relieved my symptoms very quickly, something that 2 nurofen had failed to do over the last 5 days.  Does anybody know what the difference is?  Also are they available over the counter, as the packet says uniquement sur ordannance, meaning presciption only, but they seem much more effective than Nurofen or any other over the counter Ibuprofen.

Absolutely no difference at all.  Nuroflex = Nurofen = Ibuprofen

Nuroflex is just a brand name for specifically French GPs to prescribe. 2 x 200mg Nuropfen (or any generic ibuprofen) equals 1 x 400mg Nuroflex

Glad you're feeling better though

EDIT: sorry, should have quoted my source

http://www.james-dudley.co.uk/may05press.htm

Boots H.I. line extension Nuroflex in France was introduced to replace prescription business for Nurofen from GPs when the company decided to consumerise the brand in 1996. Boots’ strategy was to maintain reimbursed prescription business with Nuroflex, while exploiting the Nurofen brand property as a consumer brand. In the UK, Boots developed a range of small pack sizes to meet regulatory and merchandising criteria of grocery and impulse outlet chains when ibuprofen became GSL. In the meantime Boots launched Nurofen Plus (ibuprofen and codeine) as a pharmacy exclusive brand.

Hi Sharkster I am presuming that you do not suffer from migraines?  In this regard my wife suffers hugely from migraines and whilst the tablet form of a nasal spray that she takes is available in France the nasal spray is not.  Thus and as we retain lots of interests in the UK the nasal spray comes from the UK on prescription from our family doctor. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just a question, Llwyncelyn,  but how can you be campaigning for additional DLA rights in France and claiming tax credits in France for disabled etc and still keep a GP in the UK?  I thought that you had to give up any rights to free NHS services in the UK if you live in France or have I it wrong?

A friend of mine does advertising for the Nurofen producer's company. The active ingredient is indeed Ibuprofen, as you know, and is no different from generic brands sold by chemists.  Some interesting research was done and the human guineau pigs were given various brands  of Ibuprofen - all the same dosage - in various guises.  Those who were already confirmed Nurofen users, reported better results from that brand - even though some of the test group were actually given other Ibuprofen products in Nurofen packaging.  Ah, the power of advertising!

[quote user="Russethouse"]Ron, I have no idea if this is the case but couldn't he just get a private prescription ? Any migraine sufferer will tell you, if it works, its worth it.[/quote]

Gay I sympathise having used those migraine nasal sprays myself, but I was not aware that you could pick and chose your country of treatment to suit your condition and/or disability or to have a UK family doctor giving out prescriptions whilst living in France unless the Doctor does not know that the patient (s) have moved to France of course

Archived