Complete France Forum

Confused about the E101.

Shelly

Hi

We've been in France two months and we're currently trying to sort our carte vitale out. My husband works for a Uk company but does a lot of work from home via the internet. We've filled out the E106 and sent it to Newcastle as requested by them. We have received a letter back instucting us to ask CPAM here for an E101 form,  to be exempt from paying into the Uk and start paying into the french system.

After my appointment with CPAM yesterday I am a bit confused.  They said that the E106 along with birth cert etc. should have been given to them. They haven't heard of the E101 and don't see any reason for us to pay into the french system as the wages are paid in sterling.

Can anyone shed any light on this area as I need to sort it out. Our daughter is starting school in September and needs a social security number.

thanks for any help.

I assume that your husband has been sent to work in France for some kind of project/detachment. In that case will be entitled to an E101 for a period of normally 12 months, maximum two years.

He would be only  entitled to an E106 if he was still working in the UK while you were living in France. This would cover you and your family , while he would still be covered by the EU health card like any other holiday maker , whilst in France.

If he is actually working in France as a permanent arrangement then you are entering into the area of the employer having to open a French branch with the payment of the whole gamut of  French charges .

Having had E101 myself, I can state that what BJSLIV says is basically correct. E101 is issued to those on assignment overseas. It's not an easy form to get hold of. It can be issued to the employed or self-employed. Although circumstances vary, in general you have to be continuing, without a break, the same work that you were doing in your home country. It does not apply to you if it is your intention to move permanently to France. Although it could be used if you are not sure that a move to France will work out, and you want to test the water - that's probably against the spirit of the rules, but, as they say, 'how do they know?'

Obviously, if you have sold up in Britain and moved your family to France, the authorities are unlikely to consider that you are on 'temporary assignment'.

Although EU rules allow you to work on E101 for, I think, up to 4 years, this has to be with the agreement of both countries concerned. Neither Britain nor France seem, in general, to agree to more than one renewal (the E101 seems to be issued on a yearly basis). When your E101 entitlement expires, you have to either return home or regularise your position in your new country. In the case of France, this means either work for a French company - i.e. a French subsidiary of your employer, or a 'portage' company - or register as self-employed.

Archived