Complete France Forum

Vaccinations required for school

Barbel Bob

Hi,

Just three weeks off our move and as its come around quicker than expected lots of last minute important things to get sorted.....I read somewhere that the BCG vaccination is no longer needed for children moving to France, this changed in July 2007......can anyone please confirm if this is correct, our children are 13yrs & 10yrs and we move to Dept 24.

Thanks

J

Our doctor says it is no longer legally required and does not want to give it to my 9 month old son.  The creche insists it is still necessary before they will admit him - result, my doctor (pediatrician) has given me a certificate stating that my son's state of health contra-indicates the vaccine and the creche are perfectly happy.

I  don't know exactly what the law says but I do know that each department, administration,school etc will interpret it their own way.  Your decision is to follow the rules quietly, fight to do what you believe the law says or do what the locals do and find the easiest way to go with the local decision makers - hence my certificate, my son is not vaccinated unnecessarily so the doctor and I are happy and the creche are also happy. Incidentally, I don't have strong feelings either way, I just followed my doctor's advice as she is the professional, which is why my 3 year was vaccinated at 15months so she could go the creche under the old rules.

Best of luck with your move

T

Archived