Complete France Forum

Broken leg and insurance.

Marym2

Hi.

We are at our house in France, and I have broken my leg. Had to go to hospital in my van and found the break here after a  few x-rays. We are here for about 10 more days, there are a few questions so bear with me. I found it quite impossible to drive so we hope to get a ferry from St Malo as opposed to Boulogne, the insurance company has not made a firm commitnent on paying for this, has anyone had a similar problem, and what did they do? I showed my european health card at the hospital and did not receive any bill, so is this covered by that card? and as I have to have a home visit every day by a nurse for my injections, will I have to pay for that or is that covered as well by this card?  sorry to go on but the visit here was for more holiday then renovations, now we are stuck at the house all day. and only can get out for the internet  when Mary feels safe to drive this van, ( i took the risk myself today but found it very tough) Thanks in advance

[quote user="Marym2"]

We are at our house in France, and I have broken my leg. Had to go to hospital in my van and found the break here after a  few x-rays. We are here for about 10 more days. I found it quite impossible to drive so we hope to get a ferry from St Malo as opposed to Boulogne, the insurance company has not made a firm commitnent on paying for this, has anyone had a similar problem, and what did they do? [/quote]

I would hassle your insurance company a little as IMHO they seem to be a little unhelpful in your difficult circumstances.

When I broke my leg rather spectacularly whilst on holiday in France our insurance company insisted that I was flown back on a specially chartered plane as they could not find a scheduled flight with 4 untaken places in late August. This being 2 places for me and my long plaster, one seat for the required attending nurse (dishy bloke called Mark) and one seat for my OH. Our policy was only a standard Eurotunnel insurance but they were absolutely splendid over the whole matter. Our friends returned home by tunnel in the car we had all come together in; the insurance company refused to let me travel in the rear of the car as they said there was too great a risk of DVT.

Sue

Your insurance company is not doing its job, as Sue says.  Get onto them and hassle them a bit more.  You need an answer, that's what you pay for.

I tore the ligaments in my ankle a couple of weeks' ago when I was back in the UK.  My insurance company said that they were quite happy to fly me back, or to pay any extra accommodation costs and any medical bills if I needed to remain there.  As it was, I got fit enough to drive but they were helpful and would have been happy to help.

I do not know about the payments in your specific case but can tell you that a friend of mine was taken into hospital whilst she was on holiday here.  Her EHIC only covered the part of the cost which would normally be re-imbursed to a French citizen.  The rest she had to pay for and/or claim back from her insurance company.  So, be prepared to get bills for at least some of the costs of your treatment, and make sure, once again, that your insurance company is aware of the possibility.  I have heard of people who have had accidents over here who have not been charged at all, but that may not apply to the after-care so you need to make your insureres aware that you may need to make a claim.

Re-read your policy again and check up as to what you should, at least in theory, be able to get back. 

Hi

Thanks for your replies, I have had a response from my Inurance, and we are now booked to go back via brittany ferries, they have been helpful but as we are aware we will be prepared to pay for some of the costs. Are we correct in thinking that we will have to supply the insurance company of the xrays etc, we have the paperwork from the hospital vist and the pharmacy but no x-rays and also no paperwork from the nurse who visits every day to give me my injections.

Again, this is a matter for your insurance company.  Normally, once they have been advised of an accident and agreed to cover the costs, then once you get the bills for items such as x-rays and nursing care, you pay then claim it back.  Just get confirmation from them that these items are covered.  If you don't ever get a bill - then you'll have nothing to pay anyway.

[quote user="Marym2"]

Are we correct in thinking that we will have to supply the insurance company of the xrays etc, we have the paperwork from the hospital vist and the pharmacy but no x-rays and also no paperwork from the nurse who visits every day to give me my injections. [/quote]

French people are usually given their x-rays etc and keep them at home; perhaps for non-residents this is not the case as I wasn't given anything helpful like that by the Hospital in St Malo where I was cared for. Though I was furnished with a letter - in French - by the surgeon who operated on my leg, explaining the repair he had done; I remember this as I had to translate it for the Consultant who took over my care in the UK. The lack of x-rays made no difference to the hospital in Lincoln who took their own; whereby they found another small fracture, making a final grand total of 4 in all.

Sue

Archived