Complete France Forum

E121 - Medical at CPAM

sueyh

My husband and I are living in France permanently.  He is 52 (retired living on a police pension) and I am 48.  He has an E121due to being on Incapacity Benefit but has been called to the CPAM for a medical by the powers that be in the UK DWP.  Should he by any chance be told that he is no longer elegible for the E121, how much will we be expected to pay for the health charges?  However I do doubt that this will happen as his treatment is ongoing.

Suey

If things change within the next couple of weeks, he would not be allowed to join the CMU and would therefore have to cover all his medical costs here.  If he is allowed to join the CMU, he would pay 8% of his Revenue Fiscale de Reference (which is on your Avis d'Impots, from your local tax office.)

I hope for your sakes, that the medical goes as you hope.  Bon courage.

Crikey Cooperlola that was quick, were you sitting on it!!??  Thank you for that advice, I do think that it should continue as he is still "under the doctor" or "sous le medecin".  We are taking a bi-lingual friend with us to ensure that we get our point across.

Suey

Cooperlola. As you seem to be knowledgable on the subject perhaps you can clarify one point for me...

Now retired,on a UK pension I received the E121. I took this to CPAM and luckily we ,my wife and I, saw a very helpful lady who sorted all the paperwork, took my old Carte Vitale and I now have the new one with my photo on it. However, we have a 100% top up with Radiance and are surprised to find that having the E121,my wife is named on it as well, that it has made no difference to our payments. Should it?

Regards.

It would only make a difference if she did not have "top up" before, but full cover.  Because if you think about it, your insurance company is now, and always was, paying you the difference between what came back to you from the state, and what the cost of provision was.  For them, the costs have not changed one bit.

I've searched for this reference but not found it but it can only apply to those under retirement age and in possession of an E121 as beyond that they would be entitled to care irrespective of anything else.

This may be part of the UK governments announced drive to get those signed off with long term disability back to work if possible and if true yet another worry people don't need.

Thanks Coops.

Whilst not suggesting for a moment that the OP in that thread is anything but genuine the fact is that these are the sort of people who are being more and more aggressively targetted, both in and by the UK, as they know without a shadow of a doubt that they will root out a good number who are fitter than they claim to be because for years it was government policy to tacitly encourage GP's to certify the long term unemployed as disabled as a way to artificially massage the unemployment figures.

Again, not questioning that OP, but I think we all know that being pensioned out of the Police (and other public services) on health grounds at 50 odd does not always imply a disability sufficient to prevent the individual from being fit and able to do another job.

Ahem....just a reminder, we have got several threads where this is being discussed, can we try and keep this one for hard info only please.

I'll try to get these posts moved, but it may be tomorrow before it happens, in the meantime can we start another thread or add to an existing one please ?

Thanks.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Again, not questioning that OP, but I think we all know that being pensioned out of the Police (and other public services) on health grounds at 50 odd does not always imply a disability sufficient to prevent the individual from being fit and able to do another job.

[/quote]

Apologies to our worthwhile Mod (Russethouse) I know we are off thread on this but I have to comment on the above.

I don't know the chap to whom ErnieY refers but 'being pensioned out of the Police' and being on Incapacity Benefit are two different things.  The Incapacity Benefit does imply the ex-officer is unfit for other work.

I think this may be to do with the crackdown on Invalidity Benefit takeup in the UK.  My understanding is that the UK government/DWP is looking at cases where despite being on IB, people even tho they are being treated for medical conditions, may still be able to work and the medical your OH has been called for may be part of that process.

I had a DWP medical before I left the UK on the grounds that my case was 'so complex' - twice early retired on medical grounds, multiple medical conditions - and was told by the DWP doctor and DWP person who dealt with people with disabilities who wanted to work that in their opinion I was unemployable (though I clearly said I still wanted to work) as nobody would want to take a risk on employing me, go to France and enjoy life.

So I did and I still do - and I still work when I can!

[quote user="ErnieY"]I don't think I mentioned Incapacity Benefit did I but I take your point and also apologise for posting in this thread.[/quote]

The reference to the Incapacity Benefit was in the post from the gentleman's wife.  She explained the Incapacity Benefit viz a viz his retirement.

Archived