Complete France Forum

whats your plan re the new health rules

tigerfeet

My plan is to return to the uk stay at mums , get back into nhs system and return to my home in france as often as possible, until old enough to get e121.

Details early 50,s e106 runs out jan 2008 , existing medical problem so do not expect to be able to get private cover,

So whats your plan ? , whats wrong with mine ?

As long as you do it legally, staying for 6 months or more in UK per year then there is nothing wrong with it in my eyes.  Lots of people are likely to do similarly and that's why it will end up costing the UK money - folks will spend up to 3 months at a time at their French home, spend more than 6 months in a year in UK and be officially resident in UK and pay tax there but use their European health card (obtained in UK) if acutely ill while in France.  I suppose that plan is OK with French health officials as any medical treatment you need will be paid for by UK either in the NHS system or by France being refunded for treating you under your European health card.

The down side is that your chosen life style has been completely disrupted - you should not have to play games skipping from country to country like that, especially not if you were already paying 8% of your income into CMU in France.

This whole episode, even if it gets resolved, is leaving a very unpleasant taste in my mouth.  My French neighbours are wonderful people and they appear very positive towards us - but recent events make me think that we are not welcome by France at large.  Looking at the feasibility of returning to UK full time and working there again will certainly be something we will look at -easier said than done though!!

Archived