Complete France Forum

An alternative to just trying to get France to change the health regs

PaulT

Coops seems to be doing an excellent job of pulling things together – thanks for that.

Still trying to wade through all 41 pages of the lengthy discussion on health here, some of which does not seem to add anything.

Found the thread re action last night cannot find it today hence this thread.

Firstly, we are in the fortunate position of not having taken early retirement yet. Only discovered about these changes yesterday hence somewhat concerned that our financial model if severely dented. So whilst it might affect our plans I feel very sorry for those who already have and are facing the possibility of needing private insurance but cannot afford it or have existing medical conditions.

In some postings France is being cast as the villain but, it would seem that all they are doing is implementing EC directives. On the other hand Britain has not. The only blame on France would seem to be the singling out of the British – but I have not seen an answer to the question as to whether a national from another country, those cited being Germany and the Netherlands, have perpetual E106s. If they do then perhaps there is some legitimacy to aiming the legislation at the British.

Perhaps some Brits do not exactly endear themselves to the local population by not registering their cars in France merely continuing to drive on UK registration plates – the locals must know that if they are hit by one of these there will be no insurance and whilst they are having to have their car CT’d the Brits do not do a thing.

Excellent that some MEPs are taking up the case and I will be writing to them and to other MPs.

One thought did strike me is that, Britain, with its welfare system, is a magnet to those from other countries as evidenced by the Sangatte waiting area.

I believe it is a noble thing to take in people fleeing from a repressive regime – but perhaps when the regime changes they should go back.

However, economic migrants are another thing. What is the cost to the NHS (let’s forget other benefits) to those coming in? Plus how effective is the NHS in collecting costs from those who should pay? A FOI request might be useful to establish facts. But would a change as the French are bringing in save Britain money on its health service? If it did then this might bring about change to the French way and which also seems to be an EC requirement, so that Brits going to live in another EU country would be covered by Britain and a national from another EC country entering Britain would either need to be covered by their country OR have private insurance.

Politically how would this stand up?

Labour – trying to control costs, this could be of interest if it reduced costs. This might be the case if the number of immigrants from the new eastern countries who have joined the EC is anything to go by.

Conservatives – well there are Euro sceptics there so this could be sold on providing better services for the existing population and the existing population not being penalised by new comers.

UKIP – whilst their aim is to withdraw from the EC, if a financial put off could be created then it should at the least reduce the number of immigrants – they currently want a freeze on immigration.

Liberals – ?  

Wondering if this approach would have a better effect than campaigning on the basis that the French changes are not fair to those already living in France.

I shall now write to the Leaders of the various political parties, as well as my MP and MEPs and also to the Secretary of State for Health.

The thread to which you refer is here

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1029167/ShowPost.aspx

Our little lobby group is coming along nicely.  We've been picking through legislation, both European and French, and looking into the UK angle.  We should have a website up and running shortly with some more info' about what we've found out, which MPs are sympathetic, suggested approaches etc.  If you would like to know more,or get involved, please e-mail me.

Archived