Complete France Forum

CMU Changes

Sue F

We have lived in France for two years, under retirement age not working and E106 expired at the beginning of the year.  Have just received the Avis D'Imposition Contributions Social on revenue declared for 2006 (which is classed as unearned income).  Given that the French are withdrawing cover under the CMU at the end of March 2008 can I take this along to the CPAM and now get cover until March 2008 without paying any more contributions or will I have to pay another 8% .  Sorry I may seem dense but I thought if we were being billed for Social Contributions this meant that we had automatic cover into the CMU.  Can anyone advise me.

Like many other you are confusing health care charges and social contributions.  Social contributions have nothing to do with health care costs, read this thread, all is explained.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1049526/ShowPost.aspx

If you are being excluded from the CMU in March 2008 and as far as I know, nobody has yet been told that in writing, you will still have to continue to pay social charges, and assuming that you are in the CMU as you say you do not have an E 106, also pay your CMU costs up to March 2008.

However, as yet nobody knows what is happening about people already in the CMU, don't worry about it until you get a letter telling you what is happening to you.  What you could do is have read in the Health section and sign the Downing Street petition if you have not already done so.

Yup, sorry, but Maricopa is correct.  Social contributions are a tax, pure and simple, to help pay off the French National debt (like that's ever going to happen!!)

One very important point.  Those whose E106's are due to expire in January will NOT  get the extension to 31.3.2008.  When it expires, that's it.  End of CMU.  The concession to March is only for those who are already contributing to the CMU (as our o/p is.)

Archived