Complete France Forum

Mutuelles, top-up, what you will

mint

Hi all those in the "know"

Yes, it's nearly that time again; that is, time to be thinking of renewing the good old top-up insurance. I am, as many on here, with Exclusive Health.

I have been looking at different quotes on the internet and, through the insurance agent I use for other things, have come up with a quote that is approx. 30 per cent less on the premium.  Have spoken to the agent and gone through the benefits and level of cover, etc and it looks virtually identical with the old mutuelle.

I do wonder whether the Exlusive Health people perhaps charge a bit of a premium for providing the English-speaking helpline.  You know, they are Brits, they can't speak French, let's concentrate on this niche goldmine!  Now that we have been here 6 months, I think we can manage without the spoonfeeding.

Am about to change providers so PLEASE let me have your advice pdq cause I am nervous about changing but, with about 500 euros at stake, it's not sensible to stick with the tried and tested, or is it?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, send a reply QUICK, QUICK, QUICK because I am running out of time and need to act to meet the deadline of 2 months' cancellation notice!

Sweet I cannot imagine any good reason for staying with Exclusive now you're comfortable with the language. Go for it, save the money.  Many on here use mutuelles with no problems.  Save the cash - you may need it!

(Pacifica - part of CA - have a mutuelle with an English speaking helpline too, btw, through their Britline arm. French co. and all that!)

Thanks, Coops, I am now suitably equipped to change and will set it all in motion this afternoon.  You have been such a "friend" and I don't know how to thank you but, be assured that I shall always appreciate your help and never take it for granted.

Love and kisses (if those are allowed on the forum)?[:D] 

I'm not an expert by any means but did not want to buy an insurance policy from an insurance company prefering to join a mutuelle (non profit making association) We just joined out local one UDSMA. They have been fine(although we haven't had to use it very much)  and distribute a useful newsletter. They aslo have their own dentists and opticians in the town. You can find more about the federation of mutuelles (and a search tool for your local one) at

http://www.mutualite.fr/

Archived