Complete France Forum

Blood Thinning Injections

Lollie

My 13yr old daughter has a plaster cast for a foot injury and has been told she needs a course of blood thinning injections, Lovenox, to prevent DVT.  It seems to be the norm here in France, and maybe it is too elsewhere, but I am a little apprehensive, has anyone had there teenager go through this, I am not sure exactly what worries me, just a mum's worry. The nurse is coming tonight for her first one.

Lollie

Nothing to worry about, it's fairly standard and painless.

As your daughter is likely to be less active physically, the injections will ensure there is not blood pooling (for lack of a a better term).

The nurse will expect you to have sterile gauze and alcohol (from the pharmacy).

The syringe and needle are ready-packed and the injection is usually given in the fatty tissue region either side of the belly button. The skin is pinched thickly and the very thin needle goes in a quick painless jab.

It's all done is less than 2 seconds, honest! I did mine myself for 10 days and it's a doodle!

I have these sort of injections daily, similar needle etc and it doesn't hurt at all, really doesn't.  Make sure that if your daughter is having the injections for 28 days - or whatever time - that the nurse moves the site because you may see a little bruising and you need to make sure that doesn't hurt her at all.

If she does colour up round the site, ask the nurse to use the fleshy bit at the top underside of her arms.

Archived