Complete France Forum

NHS branded "mediocre" 17th out of 29

AnOther

From the British Embassy Austria site:

"If you are staying in Austria for a longer period, you are considered resident in Austria and will have to pay contributions for medical care to a local social insurance organisation (Sozialversicherungsträger). These are often called ‘Gebietskrankenkasse'. If you are working in regular employment, normally your employer will deduct contributions to the health insurance system from your salary and make the payments on your behalf."

Sounds to me that it's available to join with compulsory contributionse as it used to be in France.

The Netherlands doesn't look too clever though, they apparently don't have a national service at all any more, since last year it's all based on private insurance:

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/news/february-2006/netherlands-125

I've been trying to find out exactly what the 'Euro health consumer index' is. I can only find a reference in the Telegraph that describes it as a 'Swedish think tank'.

The same Telegraph report points out that France enjoyed top place in 2006 but, as Ernie says, is third for 2007. It also says the index is based on "27 indicators in five categories: patients' rights and information; waiting time for treatment; outcomes measured by certain death rates; the range of services offered by health systems; and the availability of drugs." Nothing about universal access to the system for all bona-fide residents, which seems to be a very important consideration at present.

Do not be fooled,by the figures and make the most of it, the French health service is going to go through the most radical shake up it has ever known and nurses and doctors will no longer be waiting at the door to attend to your every whim, how do I know, I cannot say, but I do know, so make the most of it whilst you can.

Archived