Complete France Forum

How to get a Carte Vitale?

zndr

Hello all,

i'm new to this forum and pretty new to life in france.

Here's my situation:

I'm a German citizen who moved here with my Brazilian wife in July. I'm employed at an advertising agency with a CDI contract.

I have no idea how to go about getting a Carte Vitale for me and my wife. I have received my mutuelle card but this is private insurance as i see it, provided by my employer.

My wife is currently not working and does not have a securité sociale number.

Are we eligible for the carte vitale? how should i proceed in order to get us one?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Thomas Zander

Willkommen zum Forum, Thomas......[:D]

Your employer should have arranged for a social security number to be issued to you and you should be paying your healthcare contributions as deductions from salary.  Your wife should also be registered as a dependent.  Your mutuelle card will be for your top-up insurance to cover the shortfall in state reimbursements.

If the above has been done, then you'll have received an attestation of health cover showing you and your wife as beneficiaries (she piggybacks on your SS number).  The carte vitale is merely a device used to automatically process your claims for treatment and is usually sent out some time after the attestation.

If you are in any doubt, or you want someone to chase up your carte vitale, then speak with your employer.

Archived