Complete France Forum

The current changes - another question

Tony F Dordogne

From what I've read, the legislation is likely to change the ability of people without sufficient financial assets to live in France, especially those that are inactifs.

So what about the actifs?  Has anybody heard anything about those UK citizens who are registered here as artisans or whatever whose declared (note, declared) income is less that the social security threashold and who would therefore qualify for free or subsidised healthcare?

As I've not seen anything about it, I'm assuming that working and not earning enough and becoming what may be identified as a drain on the nation's assets is being treated differently to those who are inactif and are actually paying contributions?

Don't know the answer to your question Tony but I believe that cotisations have to be paid at some stage or other. 

However, as residence in France under five years is now subject to conditions of having adequate resources and health care provision, nobody has addressed WB's comment about what is going to happen to those on CMU complementaire? 

If continued membership of the CMU base is granted, what happens to those who fall at the second hurdle of having insuficient income?  There have been many on here in the past who have claimed no income save for small pensions or interest on capital that is below the threshold of having to pay into the CMU and that allows them to get free healthcare, will that situation continue?

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Don't know the answer to your qustion Tony but I believe that cotisations have to be paid at some stage or other. 

If continued membership of the CMU base is granted, what happens to those who fall at the second hurdle of having insuficient income?  There have been many on here in the past who have claimed no income save for small pensions or interest on capital that is below the threshold of having to pay into the CMU and that allows them to get free healthcare, will that situation continue?

[/quote]

Oh dear Go and wash your mouth out with soap.

Do you not know that all us Britaniques are willing and able to pay our way and contribute our 8% willingly.[:D]

It was just a figment of your,s and my imagination that there appeared on a regular basis posters with the"" Ï have no income what can I get for nothing"" thread.[:D]

Back to the question

RMI is the level of income deemed sufficient.The cut off for CMU contibutions is around 8000 euros while for complementaire it is about 10000 euros,so presumably if your income level is that of the RMI you should get free CMU and free comlementaire,that is if the rules change.

As for self employed they have to pay cotisations whether they earn or not that is why so many fail. The cotisations are so high with no relief if you have only earned a small amount.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Don't know the answer to your question Tony but I believe that cotisations have to be paid at some stage or other. 

However, as residence in France under five years is now subject to conditions of having adequate resources and health care provision, nobody has addressed WB's comment about what is going to happen to those on CMU complementaire? 

[/quote]here is a recent post which is just your imagination

Call it what you will............with our first child on the way , I am interested to know what (if anything) we may be entitled to from the French social / tax system.

We are self amployed and registered  as residents here in France. Therefore paying fairly hefty taxes and contributions etc etc.

Is it true that you get absolutely zilch until you have at least 3 children...?? can this really be legal / morally correct??

Cheers,

Archived