Complete France Forum

French and E106

Quillan

I was wondering, after talking to my neighbors daughter, about French people that come back to France after working 5 years or more in the UK.

Will they need to have an E106 as they have been paying in to the UK system and not in to the French system? Would they be treated like a Brit coming over from the UK until such time as they got a job in France and started paying in to the French system? Would they be able to register for unemployment benefit and if they were does it work in a similar way to the UK in that they may not get any actual money but the equivalent of the NI stamp would be paid by the government?

I had an E106 when I returned to France from the UK.

My Carte Vitale was established in the Sécurité Sociale number I had obtained as a working student some 25 years before.

I could have registered as unemployed (I did not), but would not have

received any unemployment benefit, as I had not made any contribution

in the French system for 25 years or so.

I started working within a year of arriving, so did not "use up" my E106.

There is a maximum length of time someone can receive unemployment benefit for and this is determined by the length of employment period as well as the age of the beneficiary (over 50s can claim longer).

Thanks for the link Coops. As I understand the link it is refering to people who are sent abroad to work by their company, it is not talking about a person just buying a ticket, flying over to the UK (as an example) and then looking round and getting a job.

If you check out that ameli.fr link, there's another section on 'Vous êtes expatrié'.  This covers the situation of someone leaving the country of their own accord where they have the option of continuing to pay cotisations through the Caisse des Français de l’étranger in order to preserve their French healthcare and future full pension rights. 

Archived