Complete France Forum

Cancelling PHI

westland

Still tidying up and sorting out after being allowed to join the CMU, could anyone tell me if it is common practice to have to wait for 30 days before being refunded any outstanding premium. We chose a PHI company that only require 14 days notice of cancellation which ended last Friday.  We paid for the year up front and I was hoping to get a refund to put towards CMU payments and top-up (the PHI we chose don't do top-up), however I am told that although the policy is now cancelled it will be 30 days before our credit card is reimbursed.  French law and standard procedure was quoted.  Regards Kate. 

I haven't got the time to trawl through this, as I'm on my way out, but HERE's the French Insurance law.

In theory at least, you cancellation should backdate to the time you were admitted into CMU but we have yet to test this:

Article 18
Sont résiliés de plein droit, à compter de la date où le contractant est affilié au régime général en application de l'article L. 380-1 du code de la sécurité sociale, tous contrats d'assurance portant sur les risques couverts par cette affiliation. Les cotisations ou primes afférentes à ces contrats sont remboursées par les organismes qui les ont perçues au prorata de la durée du contrat restant à courir. Si la garantie résultant de ces contrats est supérieure à celle qu'assure le régime général, le contrat peut être maintenu en vigueur par un avenant et avec une réduction de prime.

Archived