Complete France Forum

Attendance Allowance

Rose

Dear all... I have a question about Attendance Allowance and wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

My in-laws are thinking about moving across to France... they are just in the initial stages right now but they have asked me to find out about this.  My FIL has arthritis and gets this allowance alongside his pension in the UK.  Both are retired and they have been visiting us for the last year and have also been on several holidays with us before this... and now think they would like to come and be close to their son.  I am surprised but happy! 

They think they would like to rent their house in the UK to start with just to decide if France is right for them.  If they are happy after a year then they will say they would like to sell in the UK and buy their own house in France.  They're even taking french lessons to prepare!!! [:D]

They are happy that they will be covered for healthcare... I believe I'm right that they will have cover as they are both pensioners... and the only real question they have is about this allowance.  To be honest I dont think it will stop them coming but they are just interested.

Is there anyone out there who gets this now in France and if so do you have any information for them?

Many thanks in advance

Rose [:)]

Rose,

Firstly, their healthcare. As they are both of pensionable age, they should both receive cover via an E121. This will cover 70%, and they would also be advised to have a top-up to cover the 30%. (Although, it is possible that your FIL may get 100% cover for his arthritis, if it falls into one of the ALD conditions as listed 'here' - no. 22 possibly?)

'Attendance Allowance' is a non-means tested benefit, awarded to people over the age of 65 who are considered resident in the UK, and who have special needs. This benefit takes over from Disability Living Allowance (DLA), which is available up to 65 years of age.

This is one of the benefits that has been subject to a case in the EU courts. It 'was' only available to people resident in their own country, ie not exportable.

But following the recent ruling of this case, it was announced (3rd April) that this benefit should, along with the others, now be exported should the claimant move within the EU. People who moved prior to this ruling lost their benefit, but can now appeal this decision.

There is another thread that has been covering these developments 'here', and this also has contact details for further help and advice. However, you will notice from this thread that the complexities are still being decided upon. [:@][:@][:@]

There is a brief description of these benefits, and what to do next, on the FHI site 'here'.

Archived