Complete France Forum

What Exactly is 'Comprehensive Health Insurance'?

Rich1972

Hi all

Can anyone offer a definition of what 'comprehensive health insurance' means? I've read that basic health insurance isn't enough if you don't qualify for a carte vitale, you need 'comprehensive health insurance' (I'm (well) under 65, and was planning on renovating my house for 12 months before working so I'll need 100% insurance). What does this mean in real terms? Does it mean 100% cover for every single thing, from prescriptions to dentistry? What is the minimum cover for 'comprehensive'? It seems very confusing.

Rich

Hello

Well the link Clair kindly posted (thanks!) uses the phrase 'comprehensive sickness cover'! It's one of those phrases I've come across a lot while looking around online. As the information in the link says, the government definition of 'comprehensive' is so strict that hardly anyone would get insurance if you followed the letter of the law. [:'(] So what do I do?? Just go for basic (I'm 36) and hope for the best? As if moving to France wasn't complicated enough... [8-)]

[quote user="Rich1972"]

Hi all

Can anyone offer a definition of what 'comprehensive health insurance' means?

[/quote]

Probably something which covers both the part usually paid by the Sécurité Sociale (the amount depends on what is beibng paid for, but can be about 70% of the cost) and the part that needs 'topping up' for which many people have a 'Mutuelle' paid privately.

Comprehensive medical assurance as defined by the French Ministry of Social Security has to include all the elements that you would benefit from if you were affiliated to the French health system.

As the top up element is purely voluntary comprehensive medical assurance does not have to give 100% cover for everything

[quote user="Rich1972"]

Hello

Well the link Clair kindly posted (thanks!) uses the phrase 'comprehensive sickness cover'! It's one of those phrases I've come across a lot while looking around online. As the information in the link says, the government definition of 'comprehensive' is so strict that hardly anyone would get insurance if you followed the letter of the law. [:'(] So what do I do?? Just go for basic (I'm 36) and hope for the best? As if moving to France wasn't complicated enough... [8-)]

[/quote]You have to follow the links in the page which Clair has given you, but the full details are there.  If you follow it though, you get to  THIS LINK which details what the requirements are.  But basically BaF is correct : Drugs, doctors' visits, hospitalisation, out-patient treatment, dental, optical.... even maternity must be covered!!!

But R/H is right, if you've worked in the UK and have an NI contributions record, then you should get an E106 to cover you for at least a year.

Hello Rich,

If you are unable to affiliate via an E Form and therefore require private insurance you should apply common sense and act in good faith and you will be OK.  So if you are in general good health you may only require cover for the potentially expensive stuff such as hospitalisation.  This of course is far from the definition of "comprehensive".  But taking out such cover and paying for any minor treatment out of you own pocket ie; not a burden on state, you would be deemed as acting in good faith.

Regards

Owen

pjowen@expathealthdirect.co.uk

Archived