Complete France Forum

E121 - in receipt of a pension but spouse is much younger. Still entitled to share the E121?

nectarine

I've trawled the posts on this but just wanted some clarification, especially as I understand the regulations changed a little while ago.  There is a 20 year age gap between us and husband is in receipt of a pension so we shall be applying for an E121 in his name for health care.  Am I right in believing it pays about 70% of the medical charges and one would have to take out top-up insurance for the remaining 30%?  Also, does the E121 covers the spouse as well even if they are not in receipt of state pension nor of that age? 

And if hubby pops his clogs before I reach my own retirement age, then do I have to take out full medical insurance or is there a period of time after bereavement where you are still entitled to share the E121 as you get everything in order?

Sorry if this is a distasteful question but it needs to be asked.  I'm sure this subject been done to death but for us newbies we want to know everything.  Forewarned is forearmed, and all that. 

Many thanks for helpful replies. 

being in a similar situation, this is my understanding:

You will be covered on hubby's E121 ( and you are right about the 70% cover)

If he dies, you will get a period of continued cover (not sure how long)

After that you are on your own, but you may be able to join the CMU depending on a number of circumstances (years of residency etc.)

I am sure someone with more expertise will reply soon to clarify

Yes, the E121 operates just as any other E form - you get the same levels of reimbursement as a French person - around 70% apart from ALDs (long-term, life threatening or chronic conditions) which are covered 100%.

You can "piggy back" on to your o/h's E121 as long as he is alive - the DWP will issue a dependent beneficiary form for you if you ask.  I have just received a new paper on this, which I'm currently going through but will send you a copy in the meantime if you wish.

You will no longer be entitled to an E121 should your spouse die before you, but you should be allowed to join CMU, under the "accident de vie" provisions.  Then you will pay 8% of your income into the French system, for your healthcare (above a minimum level so it should not be expensive if your income drops severely when you are on your own) until you reach UK state pensionable age.

If any of this isn't quite clear, then feel free to come back to me.  Our website is currently undergoing a re-vamp and should shortly provide a full "newcomers guide" to all the questions you ask, and more.

EDIT :Tinabee is quite correct, you would get one year (from memory)'s grace on your o/h's E121 following his death.

Yes, my wifes E121 covers us both even though I am early retired. You are covered for about 70%, but do not HAVE to take out top up cover, it is optional. We do not have top up and in the 4 years that we have been here have not had to pay out much fro the 30%, probably less than we would have for UK prescription costs had we stayed there.

thank you all so much for your very helpful and reassuring answers, this has certainly clarified the situation for me.  Cooperlola, I'd appreciate a copy of your booklet when you have it available, and thank you in advance.

Cheers again, and have a nice day y'all !

Archived