Complete France Forum

I seem to have two social security numbers....

Ian

Or, to be accurate, my wife does. Both issued by CPAM.

Being retired, she recently applied to join CPAM, with me as her dependant. They accepted her, and issued a letter of Attestation, quoting a "numero de securite sociale". Then they invited us to apply for Cartes Vitales (with photographs), which we did. Back they came, one each,  but with a different "numero de securite sociale".

This one seems to contain part of her date-of-birth (like a UK driving licence). Can I assume it supercedes the original (temporary) number, or will I need to contact CPAM and ask them?

Thanks

[quote user="tinabee"]

If it's any help, my original (provisional) SS number began with an 8 and my current number begins with a 2.

[/quote]

Thanks, Tinabee. Mine (hers) do the same. Can I ask, when did your number change?

Thanks

[quote user="tinabee"]

Number changed with the arrival of the Cartes Vitale so I assumed the 8... number was the provisional.  I think you can safely assume that the 2... number is the correct one to use from now on.

[/quote]

If only!

I've just checked the CVs and the letters that came with them. A third number appears! The two letters both quote the 2... number. Her CV quotes the 2... number. Mine, however, has a totally different number. This one starts 1..., and is based on my date-of-birth.

Might it be that the number on the CV is a "patient" number, unique to each person? Hers is the same as her SecSoc number, but since i don't have a SecSoc number (I have to use hers), my "patient" number has to be different?

Can anyone help?

Each of you has his/her own SS number.

Generally speaking, women's numbers start with 2, men's with a 1, then the year (xx) and month of birth (xx), the dept of birth (xx), town of birth (xxx) and the number corresponding to the birth register (xxx), followed by a special -two-digit key (xx).

However, some SS numbers can have up to 17 digits.

If you have an attestaion that includes the two of you then that is all you need to worry about.  The CV is a paperless means of payment and reimbursement and generally makes life easier but there are still many medical practitioners that do not have the means of accepting them and rely on the attestation.  There are loads of reasons why you might have different CV numbers, usually it happens if you had or applied for separate E106s or E121s or have reimbursements credited to different bank accounts,  if you are getting your reimbursements OK don't worry.  If that isn't happening you need to go to your local CPAM office and sort it out, nobody else can do that for you.

[quote user="Clair"]Each of you has his/her own SS number.

Generally speaking, women's numbers start with 2, men's with a 1, then the year (xx) and month of birth (xx), the dept of birth (xx), town of birth (xxx) and the number corresponding to the birth register (xxx), followed by a special -two-digit key (xx).
However, some SS numbers can have up to 17 digits.
[/quote]

We have CV each, as do friends but each pair of cards has exactly the same S/S number as the partner's CV.  Prefix is a 1.

In which case, the partner is piggy-backing on the man's number.

Before Mr Clair started working, his CV had my SS number.

After he started contributing via his own earnings, he received a new CV with his own number.

[quote user="Clair"]In which case, the partner is piggy-backing on the man's number.

After he started contributing via his own earnings, he received a new CV with his own number.

[/quote]

Oh I see now what you meant by "Each of you has his/her own SS number" it was a reply to the OP not a statement of fact for the rest of us.

[quote user="Clair"]In which case, the partner is piggy-backing on the man's number.

[/quote]

Claire, is it possible that CPAM have made a mistake issuing me with my own number? I'm piggy-backing as well, don't qualify in my own right, so shouldn't my card show my wife's number? The form that came with my card quoted her SS number, so why doesn't my card? I don't want my own number. I'm happy being a dependent......

I'm confused. I think I may call in to CPAM on Monday, when I'm in Chateauroux, but they're probably all on holiday now......

Archived