Complete France Forum

A Spa in the North? & Health Insurance

EdF

Hope two questions are okay..

My wife and I both benefit greatly from a local hydro-therapy pool and as we are planning a holiday in northern France soon (late October) we wondered if there are any in reach of Normandy. We are aware of some in the Pyrenees and the Alps, but we don't want to travel that far. Are they only found in the mountains? I've done a web search but no luck. I don't mean the expensive 'get a mud facial and pampering' kind of spa, but a basic, thermal spa type swimming pool. We have been to to one at Leukerbad, in the Swiss Rhone Valley, which was great.

Secondly, my wife and I have been toying with the idea of buying a holiday home in France for years, which we would probably live in semi-permanently in the future. Although I'm retired on an ill-health company pension and have incapacity benefit in the UK, I'm not yet 60. I believe the changes to the French rules mean I would not be covered by the French NHS until I was 65. I expect private health insurance would be very high, considering my health, if we were living in France permanently, but I'm not too sure how we would go about it if we were living in France for several months a year. Would we just get a tourist type of annual policy?

Any replies welcome..

[quote user="EdF"]

Secondly, my wife and I have been toying with the idea of buying a holiday home in France for years, which we would probably live in semi-permanently in the future. Although I'm retired on an ill-health company pension and have incapacity benefit in the UK, I'm not yet 60. I believe the changes to the French rules mean I would not be covered by the French NHS until I was 65. I expect private health insurance would be very high, considering my health, if we were living in France permanently, but I'm not too sure how we would go about it if we were living in France for several months a year. Would we just get a tourist type of annual policy?

[/quote]

If you live in your French house for more than three months, then you become legally resident here and you must have health insurance cover in place.

Your incapacity benefit will entitle you to an E121 which will give you immediate access to the French state health insurance system.  Do bear in mind that your IB is subject to periodic review and if you lose it, you'd then have to seek private cover (with all the problems that would entail in your case) until you've been here for five years. 

Once you reach UK state retirement age, then you qualify for an unconditional E121 which lasts for life.

Another benefit of living in France is that you'd become tax resident here and you'd likely pay little or no French income tax on your pension and benefit....[;-)]

Thanks for all replies. That's VERY interesting, Sunday Driver, as I pay quite a lot in tax every month.... Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but the 'email me replies to this post' didn't work.. Our sticking point right now is that my wife has two horses and we feel it would be a hassle to move us and them.., considering what they need..

Framboise, have you been to the one at Bagnoles-de-L'Orne? That will do nicely as it's not far from where are staying. Thanks!

Sunday Driver, is that 3 months concurrently or spread over a year, do you know? Also, how would anyone in officialdom know how long one had been in France?

Archived