Jump to content
Complete France Forum

Carte Vital for 19yo on Gap year


Recommended Posts

I'm not sure of the best place to post this!


My daughter is 19 and having en unexpected Gap Year as she missed some IB exams in May (Hospitalised) and has had to sit them this week.  I have an E121 and she has her own a carte vital card with the same number as mine.  At her latest blood test they said that her card had 'expired' as she is over 18 and she would need one of her own.  We then had a letter from CPAM asking for a certificate of scholarity for 2008/9 which of course we do not have as she isn't going to Uni until Sept 2009 as she had to defer her place.  Just to complicate matters further she is planning to work for 5 months in the French Alps with her boyfriend who hasn't lived in France before.

On our last French tax return she was  a dependent child, and still is for only part of 2008.  


Does anyone know :

a) What we need to do about the Carte Vital situation

b) Does she/he need to register for work and get her own Social Security number or is that automatic by the french employer

c) Does she still go on our tax return with her wages included or does she need her own tax return?


Also posted in Working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


She can still run as "ayant droit" until she is a student.

Then she has to register and pay here:


Immatriculation de l'étudiant 

En principe, les bénéficiaires sont déjà

immatriculés à la sécurité sociale depuis la terminale. Dans le cas

contraire, la démarche est effectuée par l'établissement d'enseignement

supérieur auprès de la CPAM, dans les 8 jours qui suivent l'inscription

de l'étudiant. La caisse adresse à l'étudiant sa carte


En cas de défaillance de l'établissement,

l'immatriculation peut être effectuée à l'initiative de la caisse

primaire d'assurance maladie, à la demande du préfet de Région ou de

l'intéressé au moyen du formulaire de déclaration en vue de

l'immatriculation d'un étudiant.

and here:




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...