Complete France Forum

Re: How do Top Up's work - need urgent help please.

Boiling a frog

How it worked for me is: when I took out my top-up I gave my carte vital number to the insurance company. (I didn't contact CPAM about it.)

When the first payment was not automatically reimbursed by the insurance company I contacted them, showing the bills I'd paid and they sorted it out. Since then all payments have been reimbursed automatically.

Just a thought but, perhaps all the carte vital numbers haven't been linked through the insurance to CPAM. (Maybe the insurance company have only the emergency CV number for the head of the household, which is sometimes issued when first registering for healthcare in France? You might now need to update the insurer's files with more recent CPAM paperwork for the children.)

Good luck.

It is certainly perfectly possible that your pharmacy works direct with your insurance company but your dentist does not.  We, for instance, had a pharmacy card but nothing else for the first couple of years although now all the payments are automatic.  BaF is right, imo - you should speak to your insurers - I don't think they'll fob you off - they certainly need to advise you as to their procedure for making claims.

Most mutuelles are recognised by the CPAMs and the refunds are triggered electronically when the CPAM does its bit.

However for whatever reason, some mutuelles are not linked electronically, and this can cause quite a delay in the refunds.

I phrased that badly.  I merely meant that I believe it is the insurance company who must sort this, and make sure that the triggers which are necessary to make payments happen automatically, are in place.  Hopefully by now you've seen the agent and all is as it should be.  But it does seem odd that CPAM have advised your insurance company and they still haven't coughed up - although it's another indicator, imo, that this is a problem of their making, not yours or your CPAM's.

[quote user="Puzzled"]

Anyway, CPAM are sending me details of every item submitted and a new attestation and the insurance company are now sending me a new attestation de tiers payant with me and the children on the same on as my OH and they have promised to pay everything owed. Very Happy 

[/quote]

Well done - it shows that persistence pays!

Sue [:)]

Does rather make one appreciate the simplicity of the NHS 'free at the point of delivery' concept though doesn't it.

Walk in - get treated - walk out, no 70% of this 100% of the other, chasing Pierre to pay Paul etc. etc. etc.

Still believe that the quality of care in France is as good if not better though and definitely quicker [:)]

Well done for persevering & getting to the bottom of the problem, Puzzled.

Since you've been out of pocket for a while, why not suggest a month's premium as a gesture of good will (compensation)? It was, after all, the insurance company's mistake in not setting up the account with the correct CV numbers. There's no harm in asking.

Archived